PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing/Noise Question

Reef23
06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi all,
I will be plumbing my new tank in the next few weeks and had a few questions on noise. My tank has a coast 2 coast overflow with three drains and 2 returns. My sump is located behind the wall that the tank sits against. The drains will be coming out the bottom of the overflow for about 10 inches then a 90 fitting and a 12 inch horizontal run to another 90 and straight down into the skimmer section of the sump. Will this cause any noise plumbed this way ? Any suggestions

mark
06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
3 drains as a Beananimal should be silent

fishytime
06-30-2011, 12:43 PM
first of all.....welcome to Canreef!.......sounds like your running a BA Herbie....in which case you shouldnt get any noise at all because there is no air in the primary drain and no siphon.....

Reef23
06-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys,
I know the bean animal drain setup should be silent but I was wondering with the water falling 10" to a 90 if that would cause some noise ?

Bloodasp
06-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Souldn't cause any issue, just the end of your plumbing is submerged.

George
06-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys,
I know the bean animal drain setup should be silent but I was wondering with the water falling 10" to a 90 if that would cause some noise ?

If there is no air in the pipe there won't be much noise.

sphelps
06-30-2011, 05:06 PM
The main drain line should have a gate valve installed directly before the pipe drops into the sump. When you adjust the valve the main line will be full of water so there won't be a cascading effect. It's important that this main line does not tee into the other drain line(s) at any point before or after the gate valve.

Reef23
06-30-2011, 05:54 PM
The main drain line should have a gate valve installed directly before the pipe drops into the sump. When you adjust the valve the main line will be full of water so there won't be a cascading effect. It's important that this main line does not tee into the other drain line(s) at any point before or after the gate valve.

Thanks that's the exact info I was looking for. I'm still alittle confused with what I should do with all three drains going to the sump. Main drain will drain directly to skimmer section. Other two use as emergency drains and plumb to what part of my sump ?

sphelps
06-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks that's the exact info I was looking for. I'm still alittle confused with what I should do with all three drains going to the sump. Main drain will drain directly to skimmer section. Other two use as emergency drains and plumb to what part of my sump ?

The other two drains could be tee'd together into one line if you want and can go into any section of the sump you want since they are for emergency only unless you plan on running some water through them all the time which is an option. For simplicity you could just make all lines go into the same sump section.

fishytime
06-30-2011, 06:03 PM
It doesn't matter really..... Where ever it's most convienient

Reef23
06-30-2011, 06:27 PM
What's the best setup? Run 2 main drains and one backup or one main and two backups T'd together

sphelps
06-30-2011, 06:40 PM
For me personally, I would run three separate lines if it was easy to do so. One main with a gate valve. One secondary with a Durso standpipe and one for emergency only (straight pipe, ending just above Durso). I would tune the gate valve so some water goes into the secondary but not the emergency. Adjust it basically so just a little water goes into the standpipe so it's still silent. The advantage here is that your need for continuous adjustment is greatly reduced, if water flow increases or decreases slightly for any reason it will still remain quiet.

It really just depends on what you want, many people with a Herbie swear they never need to readjust the gate valve but I know of people who didn't like the system as they found it required too much adjustment, I fixed their concerns by changing to something similar as I mentioned above.

Reef23
06-30-2011, 07:05 PM
For me personally, I would run three separate lines if it was easy to do so. One main with a gate valve. One secondary with a Durso standpipe and one for emergency only (straight pipe, ending just above Durso). I would tune the gate valve so some water goes into the secondary but not the emergency. Adjust it basically so just a little water goes into the standpipe so it's still silent. The advantage here is that your need for continuous adjustment is greatly reduced, if water flow increases or decreases slightly for any reason it will still remain quiet.

It really just depends on what you want, many people with a Herbie swear they never need to readjust the gate valve but I know of people who didn't like the system as they found it required too much adjustment, I fixed their concerns by changing to something similar as I mentioned above.

Great Advice!
So on the main drain no standpipe at all just let it drain down the bulkhead ?
My tank is 52x26x23 with an external coast to coast. My sump is a 40G breeder. My skimmer section just will fit the super reef octopus xp3000 I plan on running so it will be tight to fit all three drains in that section. I don't really want to have one drain in my fuge as it will stir up the DSB. Should I have a drain going to the return section with the return pump ?

sphelps
06-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Great Advice!
So on the main drain no standpipe at all just let it drain down the bulkhead ?
My tank is 52x26x23 with an external coast to coast. My sump is a 40G breeder. My skimmer section just will fit the super reef octopus xp3000 I plan on running so it will be tight to fit all three drains in that section. I don't really want to have one drain in my fuge as it will stir up the DSB. Should I have a drain going to the return section with the return pump ?

No standpipe on the main drain but you could put a short length of pipe to extend up a few inches below the second drain standpipe if you want. This will prevent the entire overflow box from draining which may or may not be important depending on the size of the overflow box and the space available in the sump for back flow.

If you follow my recommendation then it would be best to put the main and secondary lines in the skimmer section if possible and the emergency can go in the return section.

sphelps
06-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Just wanted to add another tip which you may or may not have already considered. If the sump is located behind the tank it would be wise to place it on a stand so it's as high as possible but still slightly below the level in the overflow. This will reduce head pressure to a min so you can run a smaller return pump cutting back on both power consumption and noise.

Reef23
06-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Just wanted to add another tip which you may or may not have already considered. If the sump is located behind the tank it would be wise to place it on a stand so it's as high as possible but still slightly below the level in the overflow. This will reduce head pressure to a min so you can run a smaller return pump cutting back on both power consumption and noise.

Thanks. I have the sump o the ground with my current 75G setup. I was looking to raise the sump but wasn't sure if it mattered how much the plumbing dropped before the vertical run going thru the wall. So it won't matter if I drop say 4" out of the external overflow, then a 90 and a 12"vertical run thru the wall and another 90 with a short piece of pipe so it's submerged under the water in the sump ?

sphelps
06-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks. I have the sump o the ground with my current 75G setup. I was looking to raise the sump but wasn't sure if it mattered how much the plumbing dropped before the vertical run going thru the wall. So it won't matter if I drop say 4" out of the external overflow, then a 90 and a 12"vertical run thru the wall and another 90 with a short piece of pipe so it's submerged under the water in the sump ?
I assume you mean horizontal not vertical? No it wouldn't matter you don't need much drop at all. In a typical setup (non-herbie) the drain is limited to the small amount of pressure that builds up above the standpipe which is less than an inch so realistically you're not limiting your flow as long as the sump water level at least a couple inches below the water level in the overflow. Same rule actually applies to a herbie as you want the emergency drain capable of handling the full flow.

In fact if you can plan it out so the top of the sump is level (or just slightly below) with the top of the tank you have zero chance of a sump overflow. This would allow you to run returns lower in the tank without the concern of back flow siphon and you could run the water level in the sump much higher. Then to boot you're look at reducing your head pressure by at least half so now you only need half the pump.

sphelps
06-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Actually just to switch things up completely if you can plan out the sump design so the first chamber water level is at the same hieght as the desired overflow water level you can just run all three drains directly into the sump without any standpipes or valves needed, you will have to drill into the side of the sump though but you could also tee everything together into a nice big solid 2" line. Very similar to an AIO setup.

This is probably what I would do....

Reef23
07-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Actually just to switch things up completely if you can plan out the sump design so the first chamber water level is at the same hieght as the desired overflow water level you can just run all three drains directly into the sump without any standpipes or valves needed, you will have to drill into the side of the sump though but you could also tee everything together into a nice big solid 2" line. Very similar to an AIO setup.

This is probably what I would do....

I don't think i will be able to get the levels the dame but a few inches is deff possible. Seems like you have extensive knowledge with plumbing thanks