PDA

View Full Version : coming down from Calgary

Willito
01-22-2004, 03:46 PM
I am planning on making my vacation in Van next month (the 14TH) and hoping to check out a few LFS. I am not fimiliar with any LFS there, so if anyone could spare a few minute and guide me that would be appreciated.
I plan on picking up some 150lb live rocks and sand. Know any good place for that. I am interested in stores with a wild selection of products and healthy live stocks, as well as reasonable pricing.

I am also into Wild caught Tanganyika Cichlids. Any leads would be awesome.

thank you in advance.
Will

01-22-2004, 04:02 PM
http://aquarticles.com/articles/travel/Norfolk_VAS_I.html

follow the link at the bottom for the next store

he describes most of the stores in Vancouver

bluetang
01-22-2004, 07:08 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/

Good prices for volume. call ahead to book an order of live rock. Also try
http://www.paulsaquarium.com/
They always seem to have live rock in stock.
(web site is new and isnt running properly)

dekay
01-22-2004, 07:23 PM
What are their prices for LR? And you're right, their site's not working too well.

Willito
01-22-2004, 07:43 PM
thanks bluetang, I am planning to check out J&L. Do you know if they carry nice figi rocks on a consistant basis? I've seen pictures on their website but it's hard to tell what the actually have. That's why I am making the trip down rather than ordering online, I'd like to see what I am buying for $1000.

Off topic, a reputable LPS here in town used to order Premium Figi from J&L over the phone and they were told that the rocks were of premium quality. However, when arrived and the boxes were open, flies and maggots were encrusted not coralline. The majority of the rocks looked like base rocks. On two seperate occasion I seen this with my very eyes. Needless to say, the owner of that LPS doesn't hold J&L in high regard anymore. Not to knock J&L, maybe those two particular shipments were a direct delivery from the ocean and they had no control over it. But anywho, because of this experience I no longer will exercise the option of ordering online from J&L. I prefer to hand select my own stones.

Do you have any idea how far away j&l is from Van?

Quinn
01-22-2004, 07:48 PM
It's Fiji not Figi... Canada not Kanuduh. :razz: Sorry, had to point that one out, I'm seeing it more and more.

I had very good luck buying Kanai LR from J&L.

bluetang
01-22-2004, 08:35 PM
To be perfectly honest with you, I havent seen for myself, JL carry alot of Fiji live rock in stock at any given time. You're probably better off calling ahead to see if it is posible for them to bring in rock for you to thumb through. I cant see it being a problem for them as there is lots of people out there who want it. But ya never know. The prices are right but sometimes the personal service is less to be disired.
Ive frequently been to Pauls Aquarium(Not a big store by any means but one of good reputation for quality)and they've had nice Fiji rock on hand. Once again, call well ahead and try to set something up. Paul is a great guy to deal with. I'd hate to have you come down and drive back with 3lbs of rock and a whole world of hate.
JL's shop is probably about 15min's east from downtown Vancouver on the freeway.
Pauls is actually in a, I guess what you'd call an out lying town "Surrey" which is probably an hour out of the downtown core.
Hope this helps..

bluetang
01-22-2004, 08:39 PM
I forgot Pauls price on Fiji rock is a GREAT $4.75 a pound
WoW I might have to buy some for that price..

bluetang
01-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Hey Willito, Did you get anywhere with setting something up in Feb?
Let me know..

Willito
01-24-2004, 04:10 PM
Hey Willito, Did you get anywhere with setting something up in Feb?
Let me know..

Well, I sent J&L an email asking if they will have rocks and if they could hold some for that weekend and their reply was, " Liverock is sold on a first come first served basis. Unfortunately the rock is coming in on the 21st (January), and we can't guarantee availability on the 14th of February. We cannot hold rock for 3-4 weeks for someone."

As for Paulsaquarium, I will contact them soon.

bluetang
01-24-2004, 04:54 PM
YA I KINDA FIGURED AS MUCH FROM JL. THEY ARE A HIGH VOLUME STORE AND WHEN BEING AS BUSY AS THEY ARE, THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE DEFINATLY ISNT THE BEST AT TIMES.
BUT THEN AGAIN IF THIS WAS OUR STORE AND PEOPLE WERE LINING UP FOR IT, ID HAVE A HARD TIME HOLDING ONTO IT TOO FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS.