PDA

View Full Version : Senior Non-Reef Reef Fish, Help Anyone?

EmilyB
06-27-2011, 04:16 AM
I have a 12 year old trigger (black blotch) and a 10 yea.r old black back butterfly. I also have an aiptasia eating filefish. I am too upset right now to look up the actual names.

My husband has had three surgeries in six months, this last one an ankle fusion. He will be lucky to get back any mobility before he has to have the second one done. Then it will be knees next.

I can't do it, my back is bad and we are spending so much now on having yard work done etc. I have to shut this tank down. Hubby will be furious, in spite of, unless I can reassure him of a good home.

Sorry for the whine. I think you probably know I'm not after some newbie looking for fish.

But if you can help, let me know.

Thank you.

Aquattro
06-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Sorry to hear Deb, hope things work out for you guys.

Veng68
06-27-2011, 04:59 AM
Hey Deb,

I'm sure everything will be fine with your husbands surgery.

I hope you find good homes for your fish.

Take care.

Sincerely,
Vic

EmilyB
06-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Thanks buds...I hope I can find something also. I have the whole system available to the right person.

muck
06-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Wish I could help out Deb. :sad:

Wishing You and Barry all the best though.

Ryan

christyf5
06-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Aw that sucks Deb. Sorry to hear you guys are having a rough go. I wish I could help. :neutral:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Irene & I will pray for you & Barry Deb. Good luck.

Anthony

EmilyB
06-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys, emotional support helps.

For those of you PM'ing about the system, I don't want to think about that yet. Homes for these fish is the most important thing right now, when you have kept them that long, they are definitely pets. :sad:

If and when I find a trustworthy place that will keep them and care for them as I have, then I will talk about the system.

Thanks for your patience.

FishyFishy!
06-27-2011, 07:48 PM
You could always give someone the system until you are physically capable of handling it again. Then move it back. Always an option if you can't find a home for the fish.

Skimmerking
06-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Musat be some one around that can come over and do maintence on the tank for ya.

fishoholic
06-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Sorry to hear, I hope it all works out for you

Harpo
06-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Sorry to hear that! I would take in an instant if I had my tank running! Hope your husband gets better soon!

The Grizz
06-28-2011, 02:45 AM
Sorry to hear this, I always find crappy things seem to happen to good people.

Can I ask a few questions..... How large are the fish? What size a tack do you have them in? And I will assume it a FOWLR.....

EmilyB
06-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Trig is about 6", and Spike is about 5", they are in a 65g in wall. They have been together since I got Spike, through many tanks and disasters....

The system is a bit of a mess, but a good functioning ecosystem for them, there are soft corals, a white urchin that has been there for years, an abalone that is huge and does nightly stuff.

The rock (or maybe so the system) does have aiptasia. Which is why I got the filefish, he keeps it out of the tank, but he needs a covered tank.

I will honestly do the best I can for them.

Thank you for suggesting maintenance, but the tank is at the point of bulb replacement, powerhead upgrade, and potentially a new main pump soon. It's not just a simple water change scenario.

The Grizz
06-28-2011, 04:34 AM
Well if you end up needing to find someone to babysit them for a while I have a nice 90 gal I can put together to house them in my office. Just putting it out there, food for thought.

Delphinus
06-28-2011, 04:57 AM
I'm sorry to hear this Deb. Best of luck for you and Barry. :(

AJ_77
06-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi Deb, and sorry to hear of all the troubles.

I don't think I can house any fish suitably, but I can lend a hand in other ways - a ride, an errand, beer run, whatever.

You've been thru a lot, and I know I'm not the only one here for you guys.