PDA

View Full Version : How to get ride of "Halimeda Plant"

sitandwatch
06-26-2011, 12:44 AM
I have a lot of Halimeda growing and have to constantly prune its not really my friend

Any ideas on what will eat it? Or how I can remove it?

wtym
06-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Great question! I have a ton of Halimeda as well. I've tried picking it/scrubbing it off of the rock but it always comes back.

kien
06-26-2011, 02:24 AM
I had the same problem and heard that Blonde Naso tangs eat it so I gave one a shot. Yup. He mowed them down in no time. Pretty much the only fish that ever touched it (in my experience anyway).

edit: Scratch that ! Sorry, I got Halimeda confused with another macro algae that Blonde Naso Tangs eat. I in fact do not know what eats Halimeda. I do have it in my tank and no one eats it :( Pretty much just manually prune but thankfully they are easy to prune.

sitandwatch
06-26-2011, 02:34 AM
It is easy to prune but its spreading and getting tougher.

Oh the biggest problem is the Niger trigger trying to eat me while I do it :cry:

kien
06-26-2011, 02:37 AM
It is easy to prune but its spreading and getting tougher.

Oh the biggest problem is the Niger trigger trying to eat me while I do it :cry:

Ya, I have the same problem with my 4 stripe devil damsil :( I've now found it easier to let it grow into a massive ball and then prune by grabbing the entire ball and yanking it all up in one fell swoop, instead of trying to pick out smaller pieces :-)

marie
06-26-2011, 02:43 AM
My regal angel eats it as well as my foxface

Chris S
06-26-2011, 02:48 AM
Rabbitfishes (foxface as mentioned) and some large tangs (sometimes:wink:) will eat it.

mark
06-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Have Purple and Regal Tangs plus a Foxface and none touched it. Has got to be one the easiest to control by pruning though.