PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Coraline, what to do?

globaldesigns
06-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Hey there everyone,

I have too much coraline. Very beautiful stuff, but it is covering everything, and maybe sufficating my live rock. I do have 2 urchins and a blue starfish eating away, but can anyone recommend anything else to get rid of some of this?

Removing rock is not an option as I love my aquascaping and of course corals are growing on everything. So looking at an inhabitant that loves this stuff, or any tricks.

Much appreciated!

daniella3d
06-24-2011, 10:20 PM
I wish I would know why, maybe it's too porous? but all my totoka is totally free of coraline. It grows on my glass and I scrap it off. I think it looks dirty so I do not allow it to grow there, but it simply won't grow on any of my Totoka liverock. YOu might want to check out this rock if you don't like coraline and it's very very porous and the pores are deep so I don't have any nitrates because it's doing good denitrification as well.

I do have other type of liverock covered with coraline, so that's wierd.

Hey there everyone,

I have too much coraline. Very beautiful stuff, but it is covering everything, and maybe sufficating my live rock. I do have 2 urchins and a blue starfish eating away, but can anyone recommend anything else to get rid of some of this?

Removing rock is not an option as I love my aquascaping and of course corals are growing on everything. So looking at an inhabitant that loves this stuff, or any tricks.

Much appreciated!

FishyFishy!
06-24-2011, 10:25 PM
You should give some to me! Mine never seems to grow fast enough lol

mark
06-24-2011, 11:05 PM
wondering your Ca and Alk lvls

globaldesigns
06-25-2011, 04:42 AM
wondering your Ca and Alk lvls

Calcium = 400
ALK = 7-8
MG = 1300-1350
PH = 8.3, very stable and doesn't really fluctuate

All other param's like phos, nit's and ammonia are virtually undetectable.

I can't really give anyone any, as it is part of my aquascape, of which I won't tear apart as I love how the tank looks.

It's funny, many can't grow coraline, many try hard and spend money for supplements to grow. However I can without issue. Then others can grow SPS without even trying, and I have nothing but problems. Go Figure!!!!

kien
06-25-2011, 04:51 AM
Hey there everyone,

I have too much coraline. Very beautiful stuff, but it is covering everything, and maybe sufficating my live rock.

uh.. wait, isn't coraline part of what makes live rock, live rock? :lol:

Trigger Man
06-25-2011, 04:54 AM
i had that problem way back, I bought purple up, seeded from other tanks, and was gettign very little for coralline. Then one day it started to grow and quickly started covering everything, which in the end became a pain. Go figure, I worked so hard to get it, then when i got what I wanted I no longer wanted as much. Kinda reminds me of GSP i guess

whatcaneyedo
06-25-2011, 05:17 AM
You could probably fit a few more urchins into a 180gal. They're the only thing for sale that I know of that eats coraline algae... Tuxedos are good but I wouldn't bother with rock-boring as mine doesn't move around very much.

marie
06-25-2011, 06:06 AM
I found the best thing to mow down my coralline algae is a long spined urchin. I had a tuxedo and while he did eat coralline he never made much of a dent in it

lastlight
06-25-2011, 06:15 AM
I've always wondered how those things can even navigate a matured sps tank with all those spines?