PDA

View Full Version : Custom stand strength... ?

doch
06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
OK... I'm going to be building a custom stand for my new 160 (48" x 30" foot print) and although I'm fairly confident that I'll build a strong enough stand, I'd like a little reasurance. I'm thinking 2 2x4's perpidicular to each other on each corner, with 2x4's around the edges up top, and likely a couple of extra 2x4's across the top inside the perimiter. On top of that, probably 3/4" plywood and then 1-2" styro foam on top of that. I'd like to throw an Ikea cupboard in the middle which when planned correctly, can also be used as supprt for the center of the tank. I may also put another couple of 2x4's vertically in the center area for good measure.

To me, this all sounds good... maybe even a little like over kill... what do you think?

sphelps
06-23-2011, 02:25 PM
It's overkill, you'll be fine.

parkinsn
06-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Have a look here its couple good reads and some good ideas.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355576

doch
06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks parkinsn! Those links are awesome!

parkinsn
06-23-2011, 08:16 PM
No problem. Sorry, but now im going to hi-jack your thread a little :biggrin:

Has anyone seen this type of wood? (the stuff on the doors) I have seen it on a few tank stands its "quilted" maple, walnut, oak ect does anyone know where you can get this?

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr41/parkinsn/P3110332.jpg

xtreme
06-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Parkinson, you should check out the Black Forest Wood Company. They have all sorts of cool types of wood there. Maybe your next stand could be made from purpleheart? Or a type of ebony? Very nice stuff, can also be very expensive.

intarsiabox
06-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Windsor Plywood may have some.

Edmonton newbie
06-24-2011, 12:04 AM
those doors are curly maple its a very nice very hard wood lol i have spun some pens out of it. there is cheaper places than windsor plywood to buy most of those fancy woods if you have the tools to work with it :lol::mrgreen:

intarsiabox
06-24-2011, 01:06 AM
those doors are curly maple its a very nice very hard wood lol i have spun some pens out of it. there is cheaper places than windsor plywood to buy most of those fancy woods if you have the tools to work with it :lol::mrgreen:

For block wood there's definetly cheaper places to buy but if you're looking for fancy plywood I wouldn't recommend running it through a planer!:lol:

Edmonton newbie
06-24-2011, 01:25 AM
really thanks for the heads up on that dawn lol what fun is plywood when the real solid wood is available lol

BMW Rider
06-24-2011, 02:27 AM
You may find it difficult or impossible to buy the quilted maple in plywood. Usually that sort of work is hand veneered. Its a bit challenging work to do if youe not experienced with it. You may be able to get a shop to make up the door panels for you if you don't want to takle it. Figured woods and veneers are very high dollar stuff so you wouldn't want to mess it up. You can source veneers from online sellers and the shipping is not so exhorbitant as for solid woods.

The walnut is much easier to get and less costly. Black Forrest is one local source as is Windsor Plywood. You can also try P J White. They claim to be a wholsale only dealer, but I've heard of people buying small quantities through them for home projects at much better prices than elsewhere.

ColinD
06-24-2011, 03:17 AM
Black Forrest has some really nice veneers, as well they are very helpful, check them out.

Colin

sphelps
06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
I think you would get a similar/better effect if you used copper sheet metal instead, you can dent it up randomly to create that rippled effect. IMO that quilted maple or whatever just looks like the lower grade plywood that's been selectively cut.

parkinsn
06-24-2011, 02:08 PM
I think you would get a similar/better effect if you used copper sheet metal instead, you can dent it up randomly to create that rippled effect. IMO that quilted maple or whatever just looks like the lower grade plywood that's been selectively cut.

Doesnt look that low grade to me. Also doesnt have a low grade price either.

http://www.blackforestwood.com/

Thanks for the tip xtreme, never heard of them.