PDA

View Full Version : The Coral Reef Aquarium

Tony Vargas
06-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Check out the final Book Cover for my new book "The Coral Reef aquarium"

http://www.reefs.com/blog/2011/06/20/book-cover/

MarkoD
06-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Looks really good..... But who's gonna buy a book when so much information can be found on the Internet for free.

whatcaneyedo
06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Anyone who values well researched factual information provided by experts over random opinion blurted out by faceless amateurs. Also, some people just enjoy reading books.

MarkoD
06-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Anyone who values well researched factual information provided by experts over random opinion blurted out by faceless amateurs. Also, some people just enjoy reading books.

But why not an eBook then? Lower cost and much greater distribution ability

sphelps
06-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Congrats! Looks great!

don.ald
06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Looks really good..... But who's gonna buy a book when so much information can be found on the Internet for free.

some of us still enjoy knowing how to read a book!

PurpleMonkey
06-23-2011, 04:03 PM
When is this book going to be out?

DCDN
06-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Looks great

Blom
06-23-2011, 05:28 PM
When is this book going to be out?

+1,

And where will it be available for purchase?

syncro
06-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Books have better signal-to-noise ratio and are better organized than forums. I've found forums in general are a terrible way to learn (but great for community building, assistance and new ideas).

+1 for ebook format.

amoreira
06-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Book like that would be great if it gives a framework for setting up and maintaining a reef aquarium. Huge amount of work to do this to get to the level of something say like The Reef Aquarium by Delbeek & Sprung. Getting it published is another challenge. Are you published yet with that book?

asylumdown
06-23-2011, 09:51 PM
This looks awesome. I'm more inclined to read a book about reef tanks now that I've had one for over a year. 50% of the stuff I read when I first started went right over my head because it had no context. Now that I understand the basic principles a book like this would be incredibly valuable.

DiverDude
06-24-2011, 01:58 AM
But why not an eBook then? Lower cost and much greater distribution ability

eBooks are an option to traditional print but personally, I prefer to have a hardcopy for subjects I find important.

Besides, when I'm done reading them, they can fill a shelf so I look smart :mrgreen:

MarkoD
06-24-2011, 02:04 AM
eBooks are an option to traditional print but personally, I prefer to have a hardcopy for subjects I find important.

Besides, when I'm done reading them, they can fill a shelf so I look smart :mrgreen:

you'd look even smarter with an ipad

Funky_Fish14
06-24-2011, 02:48 AM
Tony, Looks great! Im sure it will be a great resource!

you'd look even smarter with an ipad
How does an Ipad make someone look smart? Gadgets dont make people look smart... being smart makes people look smart.

Dont buy the book if you dont like the idea...

MarkoD
06-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Tony, Looks great! Im sure it will be a great resource!

How does an Ipad make someone look smart? Gadgets dont make people look smart... being smart makes people look smart.

Dont buy the book if you dont like the idea...

i was just simply saying making it an ebook would reach a larger audience with less cost to the author

blacknife
06-24-2011, 02:53 AM
I like the fact that the books i bother to keep on the shelf are still there and in readable shape no mater how long later i pull them out..

also some people can't concentrate on the net long enough to actualy learn anything and do much better with a book.

try that with your online info. oh well to much noise to signal in here.. the cover looks awesome.

daniella3d
06-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Looks good but most books that are affordable are not advanced enough for me and those that I would like to read that are for advanced aquarist are way too expensive. Hope this book is not just going to be another repeat of the basic stuff all over again and it's going to be priced reasonably.

Tony Vargas
06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
@Amoreira,the book is being published by Two Little Fishies a Julian Sprung company. Foreword was done by Sanjay Joshi and Preface by Charles Delbeek. It will feature five tank builds from start to completion with a chapter titled "Reef Tanks From Around The World" and many other informative chapters, photos, and diagrams.

ALang
06-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Looks great, Tony!!
Will be excited to read it when it comes out!!

amoreira
06-24-2011, 05:48 PM
That's great Tony. This should compliment the Two Little Fishies series nicely. I have all of them and they've been my bibles. I credit these books with 90% of the success I've had in Marine aquaria. I will surely buy your book when it comes out. I'm always looking for ways to improve my setup (although I could argue it's perfect ;-)). Best of luck with your book!

Tony Vargas
06-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Just got this from the UK a news clip from D-D Aquarium Solutions, about the book.

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/coral-reef-aquarium-superb-new-book-tony-vargas

gobytron
06-24-2011, 07:04 PM
who's Tony Vargas and why is he writing a book about the coral reef aquarium?

RedCoralEdmonton
06-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Looks real good, will have to add it to the collection!

Steve

lastlight
07-03-2011, 06:38 PM
@Amoreira,the book is being published by Two Little Fishies a Julian Sprung company. Foreword was done by Sanjay Joshi and Preface by Charles Delbeek. It will feature five tank builds from start to completion with a chapter titled "Reef Tanks From Around The World" and many other informative chapters, photos, and diagrams.

Now there's a whole schwack of names... I might have to check this out =) Build threads within a book format would be nice since they'd be a lot more organized and well documented generally speaking.

naesco
07-04-2011, 12:35 AM

Impressive. Best of luck to you in this endeavour.

Reef23
07-04-2011, 12:59 AM

+1

Tony Vargas
07-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Here's what Marine Engineers had to say;:biggrin:

http://marine-engineers.org/2011/07/14/sneak-peak-inside-tony-vargas-new-book/

lpsreefer
07-15-2011, 11:40 AM
i like the books when your power goes out! on just in general waiting for stuff.
i have a book or a mag with me at all times. break at work, or even just a quite read and watch the tank. i find looking at a screen to long hurt my eyes.

ALang
07-20-2011, 04:28 PM
+1 on preferring a book over a screen.
So when is the date of release on this wonderful book?
Too bad you won't be at the SEA-MAX to sign them!!
Can't wait until it is out.
Lenny.

Tony Vargas
07-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Table Of Contents

Introduction

Chapter One - Factors & Considerations (Obstacles that require consideration before the purchase of a reef aquarium)

Chapter Two - The Decision Process (All of the equipment used and their purpose)

Chapter Three - The Fundamentals (parameters required for a successful reef aquarium)

Chapter Four - Maintenance (proper husbandry practice)

Chapter Five - Acclimation & Quarantine

Chapter Six - 25-Gallon Nano Reef System (complete Nano build-up from start to finish)

Chapter Seven - 90-Gallon Reef System (complete 90-Gallon build-up from start to finish)

Chapter Eight - 180-Gallon Reef System (complete 180-Gallon build-up from start to finish)

Chapter Nine - 500-Gallon Reef System (complete 500-Gallon build-up from start to finish)

Chapter Ten - 20,000-Gallon Reef System (complete 20,000-Gallon build-up from start to finish)

Chapter Eleven - Reef Tanks From Around the World (45 Reef tanks from around the world)

Acronyms

Glossary

Bibliography

Photo & Diagram Contributors

Index

Reef23
07-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Where wil this book be available ? Online only ?

Tony Vargas
07-23-2011, 01:19 PM
The book is published and distributed by Two Little Fishies and will be available wherever TLF products are sold. They are working on a website for pre-orders, so it will be available soon.

CandyCane
07-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Looks fantastic! I love reading reef books so I'll be keeping an eye out for it

Tony Vargas
08-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Finally, the wait is over!

Two Little Fishies has completed the Pre-Order web site for "The Coral Reef Aquarium".

Ignore the dates!

http://thecoralreefaquariumbook.com/index.htm

Veng68
11-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Any idea when this is available? I looked up Amazon.ca & .com and both say available in August 2011 but it says to place pre-order?

Cheers,
Vic