PDA

View Full Version : Narrowed my choices down to 2. What's your opinion??

Scavenger
01-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Well after discussing in depth with my wife a new reef tank, we came to the following. I can make whatever I want as long as it fits in my 12x15 foot fish/computer room.

After concidering costs, equiptment and the fact that I will probally have to move it in 2 years, I have my choices down to 2. I hope to get some opinions on what some experienced reefers think the pro's and con's are.

Option 1. 48"Lx36"Wx24"H walk around cube in mid floor. All plumbing and wiring down center "hollow/overflow". Initially lit by 6x65 watt pc with MH added later as needed.

Option 2. 64"Lx24"Wx24"H Standard against wall rectangle with 2 corner overflows and corner and midback returns. Lit same as above.

So far, I am pulling for the cube, but that would probally mean giving up my 137 gallon freshwater cube I built last year. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Maybe someone will see a problem I haven't factored in yet.

Stretch
01-22-2004, 12:16 AM
IMO I would pick #2

I like tangs, that would be better for them, If you could bump that too an even 6 feet that would be awesome.

But it really depends on what you what to keep.

LostMind
01-22-2004, 12:19 AM
moving in two years really sucks.

Otherwise I would say go with #2.

Scavenger
01-22-2004, 12:23 AM
Whoops, thanks stretch, that should be 72" (six feet) Too many numbers in the head. But yes the tang issue you brought up. It's swimming and grazing room that are the issue correct?? If so, wouldn't being able to swim around the circle (so to speak) mean more swimming room?
That was one reason I thought the cube might work better, all the rock work in the middle and swimming room around the perimeter.

Thanks for your insight.

Stretch
01-22-2004, 12:44 AM
It's hard to say really. Right now they are about the same volume. I think 6 feet would still be better IMO. Be interesting to see what others think.

BCOrchidGuy
01-22-2004, 12:47 AM
I'd go with the 6 foot as well, that's a really nice tank.

Doug

Quinn
01-22-2004, 04:58 AM
If you're going to go with the six-footer, I say go 30" high, standard 230 gal, like Canadian Man's.

Scavenger
01-23-2004, 04:15 AM
Thanks all for your input!! I ordered my glass today so there's no turning back now. Looks like a 6 footer's on route. I felt that 30" would be pushing my lighting to hard so I stayed shorter. Thank you all for getting me past this hump. I had too many idea's on what size and style tank to make, so having somewhere to turn for opinions was a nice relief. In a perfect world I could have the top 5-10 sizes I envisioned all layed out in a huge display room, but hey this is reality and money, time and floor strength is finite. I'm sure I'll be back asking more as this develops.

Bartman
01-23-2004, 05:43 AM
Sounds like you're building this tank yourself. Where did you get the glass? Anything special (starfire, etc.)?

Scavenger
01-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Sounds like you're building this tank yourself. Where did you get the glass? Anything special (starfire, etc.)?

Yup I'm building myself. This will be the 5th tank I have constructed from scratch. I have built tanks from 15-137 gallons so far and all were made with recycled 1/4 inch glass. The 137 gallon cost under $100 to make.

I'm just using plain old untinted 1/2 inch pane. I'd rather sink the money into filtration, lighting and flow!

BCOrchidGuy
01-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Wow, I tried to source out 1/2 inch glass but it would have cost me more to get the glass to build a tank than to buy the same size. Where do you get your glass....

Doug

Scavenger
01-23-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm only going use the glass on 3 sides. Bottoms and backs are usually plywood.
Properly treated, it lasts forever. I built a few boats before tanks and just incorporate the same waterproofing and treatment in the tanks. Some sealers have to be changed for toxinicity, but 2 part epoxy paint works great and can last for 20 years if your careful. I'll tell you one thing, this makes drilling and plumbing a breeze!!

BCOrchidGuy
01-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Oh I gave some thought to a plywood tank as well... I think if I was going to build a really big tank I'd seriously look into it, but for the size of tank I've got, glass is probably cheaper when you consider the time investment etc.

Doug