PDA

View Full Version : Starting with SPS

BMahura
06-23-2011, 04:10 AM
Im starting to get into SPS coral now that i have upgraded my lights to some T5 HO. i was wondering what are some easy to keep SPS of SPS for beginners.

lorenz0
06-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Its a hit and miss depending on the tank. For months I had problems keeping monti's but successfully kept acro's. IMO birds nest has always been the easiest for me, give that a try and than maybe a stag or milli next.

Also buy frags off of other people from established tanks. Maricultured colonies can be a bit tricky and once your feeling a bit more comfortable than move to them. I have had some which barely grew while small frags turned into large colonies 4x the size before I started seeing growth out of them

doch
06-23-2011, 01:51 PM
I'll second all of that. Birdsnest are really easy. Monti's are supposed to be easy, but never liked my tank. Stylo's and Pocci's also seem pretty hardy.

daniella3d
06-24-2011, 02:08 AM
My easiest coral ever are my sps. My toughest ones are zoanthids, especially the rare and expensive ones! I have all sort of SPS and they grow like weeds. I have metal halide 14k.

I don't know why people think they are hard to keep. I do a water change once a month, keep my alkalinity between 6 to 7, calcium is not that hight usualy at 380 to 400, yet they all grow fast.

Only problem I had once with a pocillio was a bit of brown jelly. I did a few frags and some survived. Now it's back to the size of a tennis ball in just 1 month and half. Personally I don't have super good result with my T5HO in my nano, but great results with my MH.

Im starting to get into SPS coral now that i have upgraded my lights to some T5 HO. i was wondering what are some easy to keep SPS of SPS for beginners.