PDA

View Full Version : selling complete operating tank; any ideas on prices to ask?

Phoenix_M
06-22-2011, 08:55 PM
hi all; looking to unfortunately get out of the (great) hobby.
wondering if anyone can offer insight on what my package might be worth.
posted on kijiji for $2500 and no replies; so i think i'm out to lunch.

here's the body:

90Gallon Reef Aquarium for sale. It is with regret that time and space requirements have me getting out of the hobby. and we're moving our office; so this is a great time.
This reef is live operating. It comes with the fish, reef, live-rock, live-sand, etc. Very Clean. Very Healthy.

I will assist in the relocation as to minimize any damage or loss.

Includes:

HARDWARE
90Gallon Glass Tank
metal Stand
Cover with feeding doors and 2x 4' fluroescent lights
Protein Skimmer
Rena Filstar XP4
Protein Skimmer
Submserible Heater
2 high-rate fans
submserible heater
~ 40lbs sea floor (live sand
40 lbs sea floor sand (unopened)
~50lbs live-rock
3/4 pail salt
all other feed & test kit accessories

LIVESTOCK
Polyp hard-coral (retractive)
x-mas tree worm
mini-x-mas tree worms; growing on/in live-rock
large Snail (algae control)
various hermit crabs (bottom cleanup patrollers)
2x clown fish
1x blue tang
1x skunk cleaner shrimp
3x damsels
2x wrasse (?)
1 x goby (looks/acts like an eel)
sand worm (?? mia)
yellow tang
various aneomones

will be negotiable on price if no initial interest; i want this moved by first week in July.

link to pics: http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-90-Gallon-SALTWATER-REEF-Established-operational-W0QQAdIdZ292315282

anyone with experience selilng systems like this?

thanks!

badAZZlars
06-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but a more acceptable price would be about 1/3 of what you are currently asking. Just my opinion based on what i've seen other systems sold for.

SleepyPirate
06-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Yikes, yea I agree your looking at probaly the Hundreds of dollars but not thousands thats for sure, you seem to have an aptasia problem they are probaly what your refering to as aneomones which are defidently not a good thing to have in your tank from what I see in the pics. You probaly would likly get the biggest bang for your buck if you sold everything seperate...

Fish arent to pricy clowns 15-25$ each at Golds Blue tangs 35$ live rock 3-4$ a pound, skimmer mabey 100$? tank it self with stand 200-300$, Filter mabey 200$ if lucky crabs mabey 5-10$ each sand mabey 40$ but I cant see $2500 or even $1000 Just my opinion though

Heres an example

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-72-gal-bow-front-salt-water-set-up-with-fish-275-obo-W0QQAdIdZ291782394#

globaldesigns
06-22-2011, 10:20 PM
I am sorry to say, but I also agree with the others. Skimmer is a coralife, which most don't like, most also don't use cannister filters, so most things will not be too appealling.

I would look at this as a parting out project, sell everything off seperately. I do think you will be able to get rid of it this way, instead as one big package.

Just my opinion though, and as someone that has sold many things on this forum, note that you will never get even close to what you spent for it.

Flash
06-22-2011, 11:09 PM
what kind of lights? t5ho"s??

and ur looking at maybe $600 for the whole set up.

Gary
06-23-2011, 01:02 AM
I am sorry to say, but I also agree with the others. Skimmer is a coralife, which most don't like, most also don't use cannister filters, so most things will not be too appealling.

I would look at this as a parting out project, sell everything off seperately. I do think you will be able to get rid of it this way, instead as one big package.

Just my opinion though, and as someone that has sold many things on this forum, note that you will never get even close to what you spent for it.

Is that skimmer not an Instant Ocean Sea Clone unit?

mark
06-23-2011, 01:47 AM
When I'm looking at used, since no warranty, returns etc, my cut off is around 50% of new.

globaldesigns
06-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Is that skimmer not an Instant Ocean Sea Clone unit?

You may be correct there, I had the same skimmer on my JBJ 28G, thought is was a coralife, but I do know it was called a SeaClone.

Overall, not a well respected skimmer. I myself found it to work ok, but can say there is better.

Polscot
06-23-2011, 10:20 AM
prolly $500, no sump/refug, not the proper amount of live rock, theres a 400g tank on here for sale that isnt even selling for 2500

gobytron
06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
from the pics, it looks like what you have is more of a fowler (fish only with live rock) than a reef.

Anyone who was buying this system with the intent of keeping coral would have to at least upgrade the lighting.

you should have a browse around this site...plenty of reference for you to draw on as far as comparable systems sold in the past.

StirCrazy
06-23-2011, 04:02 PM
see heres the thing, a used tank alone is worth about 1 to 2 bucks per gal, so 90 to 180 for the tank, and after that you realy don't have anything that is reef. just a fresh water tank used for salt. ( because it is not drilled a used 90 standard is worth maybe 120 max)

metal stand. hmm thoes ones might add 50.00 to the value.

Dropp in heraters can be got for 10 bucks used... realy depends on what type they are to put a price on them, but you are probably looking at 20 bucks max each if they are titanium heaters.

lights lid ect.. none of that would be used by some one with a reef so if you were including it add say 40 bucks

you have a skimmer (lower priced one) and to be honest not even a good one. so it looks like the one I have out in my garage I never used but paid 25 bucks for.

your filspar is expensive 200.00 ish newmaybe a bit more, but not usefull for a reef tank so if I was buying your stuff I would tell you to drop that out of the package and sell it seperatly so you could get something for it.

so you have 80 lbs of sand at around 60 bucks new. one new one used so say 20 buck value

live rock if it is nice you could get 4ish/lb so 200 bucks.

so at a quaick glance I am looking around 500.00 plus what ever you can get for your filspar by selling it to a fresh water guy.

you have to realize when you sell a tank you never get out of it anywhere near what you put into it. I had a 90 gal custom tank that cost 500 to buy sold for 200. the rest of my stuff I spent about 7K on my tank and maybe got 2200 for everything when it was all said and done.

Steve

sphelps
06-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Worth a couple hundred bucks IMO. The equipment isn't ideal for salt so anyone with experience will see little value in what you have.

Blom
06-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I had a 90g with a 45g breeder as a sump. A 50g plastic drum for RO/DI water. Custom stand, a mid stream skimmer, Aqua Jr Controller, Auto Top off, and a 4 ft 8 bulb tek T5 light. With live rock and what not I spent close to 5500 bucks. Sold it all for a little over 1600. Great hobby to get into on used stuff, but no resale on things bought new (for the most part). Im guessing you would be lucky to get out of that with 750 in your pocket.

kien
06-23-2011, 05:37 PM
It is more expensive to get out of the hobby than it is to get into the hobby :lol:

parkinsn
06-23-2011, 06:02 PM
I agree with everone above. Also you LR has aptasia on it so the person that buys it will either have to have aptasia already or need to cook that rock. I would say that system is not worth much more than $500. You can buy a new 90g in Calgary for $150.

Coleus
06-23-2011, 06:50 PM
either get out or get in. It is a stupid hobby

globaldesigns
06-23-2011, 10:16 PM
either get out or get in. It is a stupid hobby

I wouldn't call it stupid, but I can testify that I have many more grey hairs because of it.

phar
06-23-2011, 10:43 PM
I often joke with my wife that a crack habit is probably cheaper... but this is much more pretty.:biggrin:

canadianbigkat
06-24-2011, 03:34 AM
Agree with everyone, I would say 500 max for the system, part it out take what you can and run.....dont look back. What you paid is not ever relevant you gave the retailers full retail for it. Looking at what you have for quality Im not even sure how you got to that price new.

canadianbigkat
06-24-2011, 03:45 AM
In your ad you state that it is clean......sorry but that tank is not clean, I realize everyone has a different version of clean but.......

phi delt reefer
06-24-2011, 03:58 AM
In your ad you state that it is clean......sorry but that tank is not clean, I realize everyone has a different version of clean but.......

+1 dont want to be mean but that setup is filthy. Have a look at a any 5 random member tanks here - only a couple of sumps maybe look that bad but i doubt anyone would dare post a tank looking anything like that.

clean and scrape the algae off the glass.

take your protein skimmer and soak it in vinegar to clean it up. Take it apart and thoroughly scrub everything.Do the same with the pumps and filter.

rock looks like it has pest aneomes on it but its hard to tell from the angle and lighting.If it does have pest anenomes dont be a jerk and sell it to someone new and untrained in the hobby.

the prices everyone quoted here for you equipment would be what its worth in nice clean operating condition. I would question if half that stuff even works or would last another week given the state of the tank. You'll get more money for everything if you sell it separately. May be worth trying to trade it for something you need/interested in.

StirCrazy
06-25-2011, 05:41 PM
+1 dont want to be mean but that setup is filthy. Have a look at a any 5 random member tanks here - only a couple of sumps maybe look that bad but i doubt anyone would dare post a tank looking anything like that.

clean and scrape the algae off the glass.

take your protein skimmer and soak it in vinegar to clean it up. Take it apart and thoroughly scrub everything.Do the same with the pumps and filter.

rock looks like it has pest aneomes on it but its hard to tell from the angle and lighting.If it does have pest anenomes dont be a jerk and sell it to someone new and untrained in the hobby.

the prices everyone quoted here for you equipment would be what its worth in nice clean operating condition. I would question if half that stuff even works or would last another week given the state of the tank. You'll get more money for everything if you sell it separately. May be worth trying to trade it for something you need/interested in.

Ok guys, this isn't called for.

they guy simply asked for help with pricing not personal attacks on his skill or ideas. and up untill the last two posters thats what he got.

Steve

canadianbigkat
06-28-2011, 05:28 PM
I think it was constructive, if he listens to what was said he will sell his tank easier, they were not just attacks. Clean it up, make someone go wow I want that in my house and a good price will follow. Dont clean it up and someone will take it when the price gets so low you would be crazy not too.