PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have an SRO-2000int, Advice?

Tetrarch
06-22-2011, 09:49 AM
So I've had this skimmer running for about two weeks, and just as it was sort of kicking in I decided to give it a good clean with just water and set it back in. Since then it seems like the skimmer's either running so wet all I get it little water droplets and no real foam head, or bubbles so thick they don't rise into the collection cup. It's running in ~6" of water.

George
06-22-2011, 05:39 PM
So I've had this skimmer running for about two weeks, and just as it was sort of kicking in I decided to give it a good clean with just water and set it back in. Since then it seems like the skimmer's either running so wet all I get it little water droplets and no real foam head, or bubbles so thick they don't rise into the collection cup. It's running in ~6" of water.

I have a SRO 3000. Have you tried to adjust the gate valve on your skimmer? Adjust it slowly and give it a day or so to stabilize until you adjust it again.
How long has it been since you cleaned it? Wait a few more days after you clean it to see if it produces waste consistently.

Tetrarch
06-22-2011, 05:50 PM
It's been about two days since I've cleaned it, I've been slowly adjusting the gate valve over a few hours and the bubbles seem better, I'll give it another day and post what I see. Thanks alot.

Tetrarch
06-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Well, I gave it a couple days and I'm still having the same problem, what size/wetness are the bubble in your skimmer's neck?

Tetrarch
07-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Well, now I'm getting some decent tea-coloured skimmate but still no oily/sludgy stuff being pulled out. Where should the "fine" bubbles(ie-the area where the small wet bubbles start to become larger air filled bubbles) be in the skimmer for a nice foam head?

lenzh
07-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Not sure what the specs are for that skimmer, but I have a similar sized SWC xtreme 200, and 6 inches of water is not deep enough. I would run it in ideally around 8 1/2 to 9.

Tetrarch
07-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I originally ran the skimmer at 8" but it just kept overflowing, then I read around on the web and found that most people had success running it in the 5"-6.5" range, and that any higher usually resulted in a very wet skim/overflowing. Now I've dropped it to 6" of water and am getting a tea coloured skimmate, but lowering the water level in the skimmer just makes it so the neck gets choked with thick skimmate and none reaches the collection cup.

phi delt reefer
07-10-2011, 12:01 AM
I originally ran the skimmer at 8" but it just kept overflowing, then I read around on the web and found that most people had success running it in the 5"-6.5" range, and that any higher usually resulted in a very wet skim/overflowing. Now I've dropped it to 6" of water and am getting a tea coloured skimmate, but lowering the water level in the skimmer just makes it so the neck gets choked with thick skimmate and none reaches the collection cup.

you need to reduce the air going into the skimmer. This will cause smaller bubbles which can push up higher into the neck.

so run it at 6" (where you get tea skimate)

lower the internal water volume slightly and decrease the air intake slightly. by slightly I MEAN SLIGHTLY!!! give it a full day between adjustments.. Skimmers are finicky - you could dial it in perfectly then an hour late the sucker if overflowing. Adjust once a day... i know its hard, but its the only way :D

Tetrarch
07-10-2011, 03:24 AM
you need to reduce the air going into the skimmer. This will cause smaller bubbles which can push up higher into the neck.

so run it at 6" (where you get tea skimate)

lower the internal water volume slightly and decrease the air intake slightly. by slightly I MEAN SLIGHTLY!!! give it a full day between adjustments.. Skimmers are finicky - you could dial it in perfectly then an hour late the sucker if overflowing. Adjust once a day... i know its hard, but its the only way :D

As far as I know there is no way to alter the air intake on this skimmer, would you reccomend I just lower the water level a little bit?

Thanks for the help.