PDA

View Full Version : Down Draft Skimmers

UnderWorldAquatics
01-21-2004, 07:21 PM
downdraft skimmers like this ETSS are the only way to go in a tank over 150gallons if you ask me, they work great!

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/130ETSS_600working-med.jpg?3331

LostMind
01-21-2004, 08:44 PM
I dont understand the difference between downdraft, becket etc.

looks the same to me.

UnderWorldAquatics
01-21-2004, 09:19 PM
a becket is basically an offshoot of a downdraft, but a downdraft has no parts that can fail, the injector in a becket can fail.

StirCrazy
01-21-2004, 10:04 PM
a the injector in a becket can fail.

that would take a bit of abuse like dropping it off a 40 story building :eek: the only thing you have to do with a becket is clean it once and a while.

same thing with a downdraft as most of them use bio balls to "foam" the water.

as far as efficiency goes you need a lot larger of a downdraft to do the same work as a becket.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
01-21-2004, 10:21 PM
the only size difference I can see is the injection tower is taller on a downdraft, other than that they are the same size, I think both types of skimmer are very good, I have heard that some beckets are noisy? is this got much truth to it steve? I have been looking into building some large becket skimmers to fit them under tank stands, I havent looked into it yet but what seems to work better? becket, or mazzi injection?

StirCrazy
01-21-2004, 10:29 PM
I have heard that some beckets are noisy? is this got much truth to it steve? I have been looking into building some large becket skimmers to fit them under tank stands, I havent looked into it yet but what seems to work better? becket, or mazzi injection?

Beckets can be noisy but it isn't the skimmer that makes the noise it is the air being sucked into the becket. I have a 3 foot chunk of lock line on mine so you can hardly hear it but others who just have a valve with no extension can sound like a jet :mrgreen:

I am not familier with mazzi, do you have link to it so I can take a look, or is it also called something else?

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
01-21-2004, 10:38 PM
http://healingtools.tripod.com/inject.html

http://www.mazzei.net/industrial/index.html
this is a good site, they are the ones I use for ozone injection

titus
01-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Hello,

Mazzei is a brand of venturi injectors. Beckett is a brand of garden pond products. Both makes foam. I haven't used Mazzei myself. As far as I know all good skimmers make noises. Becketts and Mazzeis are just smaller and cheaper than the downdrafts.

Titus

StirCrazy
01-21-2004, 10:43 PM
ahh, ya like Titus said :mrgreen: I think the mazzi might be a little more efficient than a becket because of the design but the becket comes apart for easy cleaning. I would have to get a mazzi to play with to tell you how much difference there would be though.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
01-21-2004, 10:45 PM
I have been told that the downdrafts are a little better because of increased contact time, its not much really but suposedly it makes a difference