PDA

View Full Version : Anybody bought any new live rock lately?

christyf5
06-10-2002, 10:36 PM
Hi Mason
I just bought 50lbs (not sure if that is significant or not ;) ) of live rock from J&L and I must say its pretty sweet. There was a fair amount of brown algae on it. The big leafy kind. Don't know what it is but as long as it isn't green I don't care :D
Anyway I've had it for about a month now and all sorts of interesting things are appearing on it all the time.

Christy smile.gif

Son Of Skyline
06-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the info Christy. So you didn't notice any aiptasia or other pests?

DJ88
06-10-2002, 11:54 PM
Mason,

I was at J&L today and didn't see anything bad on the rock. But once again you never know what will come in. The fun or possibly the bad part of Live rock. You never know what you will get. :D

christyf5
06-11-2002, 01:13 AM
Nope no aptasia at all. I can't say I've ever seen aptasia at J&L. I kind of eyed the algae for a bit not sure of whether it would be good or bad (I haven't had the greatest track record with algae) but I've decided I like it. Its a refreshing change from the lawn of green I used to have.

Christy smile.gif

Troy F
06-11-2002, 02:02 AM
Christy, the macroalga is probably Sargassum spp., it is fairly common on Fiji liverock. The only aiptasia I've seen is in the clam tank and in the snail tanks.

I just bought 50lbs of live rock from them tonight so I'll let you know if there is any aiptasia on it in about a month smile.gif .

EmilyB
06-11-2002, 02:37 AM
I've been getting rock from J&L for over a year, just got a box a couple weeks ago. I've never noticed aiptasia, got one on some Carribean rock once. :D
This new box was phenomenal as always (oh, I buy the uncured Fiji). Large, medium, and small pieces. I usually don't get to enjoy the sargassum, as tangs in two tanks, but I'm selfishly keeping a couple rocks growing it for now, to give them when we go on vacation...

Son Of Skyline
06-11-2002, 03:51 AM
Great. Thanks for the info everyone. I guess J&L is the place to go. So far they've got some of the best prices. I wonder if they'll give me the 3 box price if I only take 2 boxes. Ah well. I did see something that looked like an aiptasia in one of the LR tanks, but the tentacles were shorter so I'm not sure. Could just be an aiptasia looking polyp of some sort.

EmilyB
06-11-2002, 04:09 AM
Just be sure if you get an aiptasia, get rid of it promptly. Some kalk paste with a syringe works great.

Achilles
06-11-2002, 04:22 AM
haha... Mason. Sitting here reading this I just remembered the polyp you are talking about. It was on the right hand site at the top closest to the curtain right...

that is NOT Aptasia.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Son Of Skyline
06-11-2002, 04:32 AM
Hey everyone. Has anybody bought any significant amounts of LR lately in the Lower Mainland area? I'm going to need a bunch soon and I want to find some good LR. Price is a concern, but secondary to quality. I'd buy from King Ed again, but the LR I have right now from them came in with alot of macro and kelp like things which have proven to be a big huge pain in the arse. I'd go with J&L but I noticed that they have aiptasia here and there in their tanks, and I thought I saw what may be an aiptasia in their LR tank. Has anybody recently had any problems with aiptasia or pests from J&L Figi LR? Any other place you guys have bought from recently? Thanks in advance smile.gif

Son Of Skyline
06-11-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Achilles:
haha... Mason. Sitting here reading this I just remembered the polyp you are talking about. It was on the right hand site at the top closest to the curtain right...

that is NOT Aptasia.

Hope that helps,

Jeff<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think that was it. Thanks for the reassurance smile.gif

rgardiner
06-17-2002, 11:19 PM
I bought 125 lbs of Tonga and Tonga Branched from J&L a few months ago and no sign of aiptasia so far(KOW).