PDA

View Full Version : Live rock Per gallon

SleepyPirate
06-21-2011, 09:50 PM
I currently have 50lb of live rock in my 90 Gallon and am looking to get 50lbs more this weekened, however my tank looks bear with 50lbs and I cant imagine another 50lbs is going to make it look much better, I hear its 1lb per 1Gallon is this true?

Never mind the small rocks in the middle just keeping them alive for friends sump (when its done)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/20110621154444.jpg/

Lance
06-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Depends entirely on your taste. Some people like lots of open area and some like lots of rock. Go with what you like.

daniella3d
06-21-2011, 09:59 PM
It's not just about adding pounds of liverock to an aquarium, it's more about the type of liverock that you will use.

If you put 100lbs of dense heavy and non porous liverock in your aquarium, it's not going to be as efficient as 30 lbs of lets say nice porous Totoka liverock. I have zero nitrates in my aquarium and I have about 45lbs of liverock Totoka in my 70 gallons tank. It does the job very well because it's so porous so deep inside it also denitrify.

So it is best to have porous liverock that weight not much vs heavy dense stuff and the weight you will need really depends on that.

I currently have 50lb of live rock in my 90 Gallon and am looking to get 50lbs more this weekened, however my tank looks bear with 50lbs and I cant imagine another 50lbs is going to make it look much better, I hear its 1lb per 1Gallon is this true?

Never mind the small rocks in the middle just keeping them alive for friends sump (when its done)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/20110621154444.jpg/

rtram
06-21-2011, 10:09 PM
^agreed.

the quality of the live rock over the quantity is something that should be heavily emphasized by all people imo. in terms of biological filtration, surface area is what it's all about. selecting light and porous rock over heavy and dense rock will not only be easier on your wallet, but will be a more efficient means of breaking down your nitrogenous wastes.

SleepyPirate
06-21-2011, 10:20 PM
I didnt even think about how porus it is, I have some very nice porus live rock and a few other pieces that are super dense (almost like regular rock) I didnt really think that the porus stuff is what I want till you brought it up, I think I have all Fiji live rock but as I bought it from a local reefer I really dont know as she was just selling it cause her husband took off lol

sphelps
06-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah that doesn't look like 50lbs so I would look elsewhere for better rock. The rule of thumb is just a guideline and few people actually use it these days.

For example I just put 75lbs in my 100 gallon display which has a total volume of around 160 gallons, I won't be adding anymore rock.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/sphelps/100G%20Tank%20Build%202011/DSC_6632.jpg

DisneyCoralReef
06-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Waw that photo is absolutely outstanding. I appreciate the thread. I've been thinking a lot about what it is I want to add and how much-to my new tank. Great thread.

MarkoD
06-21-2011, 11:31 PM
I started with about 60 pounds of liverock and added another 90 pounds of dry rock to my 180 gallon tank.

No issues and the fish have lots of room to swim.

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2011-03-29at65228PM.png

intarsiabox
06-22-2011, 01:53 AM
I don't think you got 50lbs of live rock, did you actually see the weight on a scale? I got 60lbs of live rock for my 90g and had to put some in my sump as it wouldn't all fit in the tank. Take a look at people's tank photos and see what style you like. Some like their tanks open, some like lots of shelves and arches and some like a big dense wall of rock against the back of their tank. If you have good porus rock the lb per gallon rule of thumb isn't a must by any stretch. What's important is that you like the look of the tank because if you don't why have it? You can also get creative and use clear acrylic rods and black zip ties to design your rock work.

SleepyPirate
06-22-2011, 02:46 AM
I weighed it on my scale with big blue tupperwear container and it came out to be 47-48. I do have some pieces that are almost solid in shape that might be the reason! I think Im going to be more selective in choosing my future rock purchases, Im glad atleast I got some good pieces out of the deal paid about 140-160$ for everything u see. I think now I might be very selective, I thought Fiji and caribbean where the only rocks available but now I learn theres more to choose from it seems LFS usualy only carry the two I mentioned

naesco
06-22-2011, 04:12 AM
Don't try to put too much in your tank. Leave lots of room to add another rock here and there. The reason is that you will come across a really beautiful piece that you might find at a LFS or someone who is taking their reef tank down and than you will have room to place it.