PDA

View Full Version : Un-leveled tank

dynamite
06-20-2011, 10:26 PM
I just realized my tank is unleveled by 0.5cm in the left side... Should I'll be concerned? :neutral:

I bought the stand at my LFS and it's sitting on a carpet floor.

Thanks.

Trigger Man
06-20-2011, 10:54 PM
you want a tank to be as level as possible, but from my past experience, my 5 footer slanted about that much from one side to the other, and i had no probs

dynamite
06-20-2011, 11:23 PM
you want a tank to be as level as possible, but from my past experience, my 5 footer slanted about that much from one side to the other, and i had no probs

For how long did you have your tank?
I've had mine like this for 3 years and I didn't have a problem so far *Knocks on wood* But I read a threat on RC and now I can't sleep lol...:mrgreen:

Trigger Man
06-20-2011, 11:26 PM
i had mine for around 4 years before i sold it. no probs for mine. It was also eurobraced and ran a wavemaker system on it.

Flash
06-20-2011, 11:44 PM
my 33 is slanted..but doing fine, has been for 2 years! It will continue to be slanted as long as i am waiting on this 50gl i've had my eye on to replace it! lol!

globaldesigns
06-21-2011, 02:40 AM
My tank is 5 ft, and when put in, it was 100% level... Once I put water in, it was out by a bit (Not much, but you can see it)... Anyways it has been almost 3 years and no problems. In my case I do believe the styro layer compressed unevenly, but not sure.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think trying to fix the slight uneveness may cause more issues, like even cracking the tank! In my case I am ok with it. I have a level with the tank and check it occasionally and it hasn't changed ever since first filling it up.

As with others, mine is euro-braced running wavemakers.

The Grizz
06-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Many people have asked me why I put leveling screws on my personal tank stand & this is why. I really don't think that you have anything to worry about as long as the tank have not moved at all since day one.

eli@fijireefrock.com
06-21-2011, 05:06 AM
i have a 6 footer.When installed was perfectly 100% leveled.
for about 10mth now slanted o one side for about 1/4' with no problems.And like globaldesigns i think the styro helps.
I do like The Grizz idea with pacing leveling screws on a tank helps keeping it all leveled.

kien
06-21-2011, 05:23 AM
I am also in the un-level tank club! woohoo! We need t-shirts. My tank was level when I started and the stand is still level so ya, the foam did not compress evenly I guess. Has been like this for a couple of years now. Off by about half a centimeter to a centimeter as well.

globaldesigns
06-21-2011, 05:31 AM
I am also in the un-level tank club! woohoo! We need t-shirts. My tank was level when I started and the stand is still level so ya, the foam did not compress evenly I guess. Has been like this for a couple of years now. Off by about half a centimeter to a centimeter as well.

Glad I am not the only one... And yes we need t-shirts, so Lastlight get on it! I would buy one for sure.

Grizz, I like your idea of the leveling screws, but I do think having my stand with 100% contact on the floor is the best, so I can live with the slight slant. Not sure about the wieght/pressure on those screws, but again I am not a master welder like you :)

Coleus
06-21-2011, 05:46 AM
Wow, i thought only me has unlevel tank lol

Parker
06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Unlevel 7 footer, no problems.

abcha0s
06-21-2011, 08:59 PM
I'd be more worried about the floor/stand/tank being flat. If the stand is contorted, it will stress the seams. I've had a small tank burst because the stand wasn't flat.

I couldn't say either way how important it is for the stand to be level, but the other posters probably have it right.

- Brad

The Grizz
06-22-2011, 04:32 AM
I like your idea of the leveling screws, but I do think having my stand with 100% contact on the floor is the best, so I can live with the slight slant. Not sure about the wieght/pressure on those screws, but again I am not a master welder like you :)

just for you buddy.

I use 3/4" A325 Type 1 structural bolts. The allowable shear strength in single shear is 7500 lbs for a slip critical connection. In double shear its 15000 lbs. This goes up if you choose to do a bearing type connection. For the application I use them in the threads will withstand 1000 lbs per bolt, so for example my 8'er has 10 screw legs each withstanding 1000 lbs totaling 10k lbs. Then I weld a 1/4" x 4" round plate to distribute some more of the down force.

globaldesigns
06-22-2011, 05:32 AM
just for you buddy.

I use 3/4" A325 Type 1 structural bolts. The allowable shear strength in single shear is 7500 lbs for a slip critical connection. In double shear its 15000 lbs. This goes up if you choose to do a bearing type connection. For the application I use them in the threads will withstand 1000 lbs per bolt, so for example my 8'er has 10 screw legs each withstanding 1000 lbs totaling 10k lbs. Then I weld a 1/4" x 4" round plate to distribute some more of the down force.

HEHE, now I look like a deer in headlights. Eyes just glazed over, with a numbness falling over me.

I guess it pays to know your shiet! This is why the rest of us have to look at our tanks with our heads slightly cocked.

kien
06-22-2011, 06:48 AM
cocked.

Hehehehehehehehe

StirCrazy
06-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I am like Griz, I had six 1" leveling screws on my stand I made which bottomed out on a 10"x8" pad to spread out the weight on the floor.

I realy don't think you will have to much of a problem but I have heard of a couple tanks in the last 13 years that have let loose and they figure it was from not being level. for me personaly 5mm is not much, its more of a cosmetic thing that would bother me.

Steve

ALang
06-22-2011, 11:39 PM
6' not level.
Used to be when first set up, now it is about 1/2" off on one side. Drives me nuts knowing that, but can't do nothing about it. Been like this for 4 years now.**fingers and toes crossed**

DiverDude
06-22-2011, 11:45 PM
I guess the important thing is "was it level before" ? If yes, then you want to know why it isn't anymore ! Maybe the floor has subsided ?

As long as you're not running a wave, I see no issue.

globaldesigns
06-23-2011, 03:47 AM
I guess the important thing is "was it level before" ? If yes, then you want to know why it isn't anymore ! Maybe the floor has subsided ?

As long as you're not running a wave, I see no issue.

Hey Mark, most of us nowadays have wave makers... I am not too worried about that, since my tank is strong and eurobraced.

You have to remember that most of us also have foam under the tank. In my case the stand is still level, the floor is still level, but the tank isn't. It isn't that bad, but for me I say it is the foam.

The foam is used to help eliminate stress caused by things like uneven stand surface or anything that may make the surface that the tank sits on not perfect. But what do you do if the foam compresses on an angle?

I know its there, if you look hard you will also see it, but I think all is good. I would never recommend trying to relevel any tank when setup, why chance it. You may cause the stress needed to cause it to crack, so LEAVE IT BE!

So when you come over next time, remember to tilt your head 1-2 degrees and all is fine. :biggrin: Or maybe we just drink lots of good Rum, and then we won't give a shiet

AquaticFinatic
06-24-2011, 04:00 AM
Not meaning to jack the thread but what kinda foam are people using? Are we talking the pink dense foam or the white poly stuff? Thanks.

abcha0s
06-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Definitely the dense pink foam. My 300 sits on a 3/4" sheet. It's not a good idea to put your tank on foam if it has a floating bottom and trim. If the bottom is glass and flat, foam is required.

- Brad

StirCrazy
06-25-2011, 05:36 PM
It's not a good idea to put your tank on foam if it has a floating bottom and trim.

- Brad

I don't know if I would agree with that at all. for 12 years on here and 10 year prior to that I have placed my tanks on foam and seen hundreds of others do the same on floating bottom tanks. now all because one guys tank cracked and the manufacture used that as an excuse to not pay it out everyone is scared of them. I can tell you if you use a dense foam the bottom of the tank doesn't touch the foam only the rim does so it is still having the same effect by adsorbing minor imperfections. now if you use a lower density foam that will allow the weight to be shifted to the bottom of the tank then sure you may have an issue, but using blue or pink High density foam from home depot won't allow this unless you cut it to close to the edge. you sould always leave about 1/2" around the tank so you don't get a colapsing edge.

this is the key.. MINOR imperfections... it is an extra safty measure but will not make up for a badly built stand.

this junk is spreading as fast as DSB's did 12 years ago...:mrgreen: look how they turned out

Steve