PDA

View Full Version : more colour

Maverick00
06-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Are there any recommendations to try to boost the color out of these corals? To me the two look alittle bleached out and lacking colour when comparing with other tank shots. Parameters are in check, lights are running 12hrs day, 3x blue plus 1x fiji purple t5ho. Dosing cal alk and mag. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/RangerFX409/IMG_0714.jpghttp://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/RangerFX409/IMG_0719.jpg

spawn
06-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Maybe try a six bulb fixture. More light is good.

phi delt reefer
06-20-2011, 11:14 PM
look into dosing some potassium to bring out some colours. I dont see any algae in your tank so as you said your parameters must be in check. Usually with an ULNS you need to feed a TON - especially since you are running pellets.

when you do a water change is the "dirty" water yellow or crystal clear?

Are you running carbon?

try fragging both of those corals and place one clone up higher (closer to the light) and one lower to see how they respond to different amounts of light.

Maverick00
06-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Spawn - I know id love too, just dont have the funds to invest in a new fixture atm :\

phi delt reefer - thanks for the advice, Water changes are clear, i dont notice any yellow. Im running vertex biopellets which ive changed from GFO. Ive never ran carbon in this tank. Ill do some research on potassium, ive never read much about it. As far as fragging those corals im assuming i should be ok with just breaking a couple branches off? any obvious precautions i should take? Ive fragged the birdsnest before but never the blue sps (sry dont know the name).

Thanks

phi delt reefer
06-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Lots of videos on u tube that will show u how to frag, it's pretty easy.

The potassium thing is something I read on nano reef but I am sure u,ve seen threads about trace element dozing and what not. I'm skeptical of dozing those things but if wasn't getting the colors I wanted I would start experimenting with thoSe types of things.

Honestly I hope to run my tank exactly like yours and get great colors like everyone else but if things dont work out I'll have to experiment with all those questionable reef science methodologies lol.

Sorry for all the spelling issues, this f'in iPads autocorrect is ****ing me off!