PDA

View Full Version : Angel question

sully08
06-20-2011, 06:08 AM
I just started up my 220g and I want an angel to be a part of my stocking list. I would like to have some soft corals in the tank and I know that angels like to munch on them. I really like the majestic angel. Are there any corals that I could put with this fish that he would leave alone?

nlreefguy
06-20-2011, 08:58 AM
I just started up my 220g and I want an angel to be a part of my stocking list. I would like to have some soft corals in the tank and I know that angels like to munch on them. I really like the majestic angel. Are there any corals that I could put with this fish that he would leave alone?

Just as personal experience, but i had a Majestic Angel in a 125 gallon full of softies and he was a model citizen. I think they are one of the safer of the large angels, but it all comes down to the individual.

sully08
06-20-2011, 03:19 PM
you said had, what heppened to the majestic, how big was the fish?

kien
06-20-2011, 03:43 PM
I've owned various angels over time and currently have a King, Queen, Regal, Potters and Flame angels. I've never seen any of my angels go after soft corals, usually just LPS or SPS. Man, I've got some nuisance softies that I *wish* they'd graze on :-/

Anyway, your mileage may vary :-D

sully08
06-21-2011, 04:14 AM
could you recommend some softies, are there some with good color

MKLKT
06-21-2011, 05:15 AM
My angel doesn't bother any of the leathers, toadstools, GSP, anthelias and mushrooms in my tank, however it DID pick at pulsing xenia until I decided to donate it to a safer home.

kien
06-22-2011, 08:09 PM
could you recommend some softies, are there some with good color

There are a lot of nice softies out there that are very colourful. For example, various mushrooms (purple/blue, red, green, orange, etc). Green Star Polyps can be found in various shades of green from forest to nuclear. Toadstools can be found in yellow, tan, neon yellow/green. Then of course there are zoanthids which come in every colour you can imagine.

Keep in mind a couple of things,

1. as mentioned above, an angels appetite for corals can be an individual trait. Just because one person's angel doesn't eat their zoanthids doesn't mean that yours won't!

2. Many softies can end up being quite invasive and grow to plague proportions (GSP, mushrooms, Pulsing Xenia, even zoanthids). To some this is a good thing, to others it is a bad thing. Only you can decide which side of the fence you're on.

Hope that helps.

Zoaelite
06-22-2011, 09:59 PM
My Majestic has yet to touch any of my SPS/ Zoa reef, great fish with some amazing color in both the adult/ juvi form. As stated though it comes down to the individual fish, dwarfs are fun too but tend to be a real hit or miss for nipping.

sully08
06-25-2011, 09:38 PM
thanks for the feedback kien
P.S fantastic set up

nlreefguy
06-25-2011, 10:25 PM
I moved out of the country and had to sell the fish with the whole setup. He's still doing great now in the same tank with the same corals in a business locally. About 8" long now and still a model citizen.

you said had, what heppened to the majestic, how big was the fish?

Aquattro
06-25-2011, 10:35 PM
I just added a Queen Angel to my tank, 95% SPS, some clams and a frogspawn. I'll let you know how that works out :)

Doug
06-25-2011, 10:48 PM
I just added a Queen Angel to my tank, 95% SPS, some clams and a frogspawn. I'll let you know how that works out :)

:hungry:

reefwars
06-25-2011, 10:57 PM
There are a lot of nice softies out there that are very colourful. For example, various mushrooms (purple/blue, red, green, orange, etc). Green Star Polyps can be found in various shades of green from forest to nuclear. Toadstools can be found in yellow, tan, neon yellow/green. Then of course there are zoanthids which come in every colour you can imagine.

Keep in mind a couple of things,

1. as mentioned above, an angels appetite for corals can be an individual trait. Just because one person's angel doesn't eat their zoanthids doesn't mean that yours won't!

2. Many softies can end up being quite invasive and grow to plague proportions (GSP, mushrooms, Pulsing Xenia, even zoanthids). To some this is a good thing, to others it is a bad thing. Only you can decide which side of the fence you're on.

Hope that helps.

exactly, couldnt have said it better myself and alot of times they are fine for yrs and just go rogue on your corals one day lol

reefwars
06-25-2011, 10:58 PM
:hungry:

bahaha too funny lol:)

Aquattro
06-25-2011, 11:20 PM
bahaha too funny lol:)

you guys are so negative!! :) It'll be fine..

Doug
06-25-2011, 11:49 PM

:dance:

We,re rooting for ya Brad. :mrgreen:

reefwars
06-25-2011, 11:58 PM
:dance:

We,re rooting for ya Brad. :mrgreen:

yes thats right and besides fish gotta eat too right:):)

kien
06-26-2011, 02:29 AM

famous last words... LOL

Aquattro
06-26-2011, 02:37 AM
famous last words... LOL

hahaha, ya, I know...my clams are already retracted :) Good thing I have other tanks!