PDA

View Full Version : Clown eggs

bryceschutte
06-20-2011, 01:44 AM
I have a large batch of clown eggs right now. is there anything i can do to help them survive?

bignose
06-20-2011, 04:17 AM
Lot's of work involved with raising a fry. You will also need to start another tank to raise them in.

They also make a great snack for the rest of your tank.

mike31154
06-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Raising the fry is a pretty involved process. First you need to capture them when they hatch, typically after lights out, then you need a separate tank, phytoplankton to feed/raise rotifers which is the only live food small enough for the fry (larvae actually) to eat. After a week or so, if you have any survivors, metamorphosis from larvae to actual fry happens. Many are lost during this process as well. Survivors from that I think will be able to handle live brine shrimp and slowly be weaned on to dry food. This is all written from memory of what I've read on forums and the book "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson. Unless you're well prepared prior to hatching, consider them food for the other critters in your tank. They won't survive a day in there.

Cugio
06-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Or food for the parents. As they mature in this process, their egg batches will get larger and larger. Mine work out to every 15 days between batches. I've read some journals where it costs 4 x more to raise the babies to 2" than what you can make back at the store.