PDA

View Full Version : Lighting help

BMahura
06-20-2011, 01:02 AM
I am looking at upgrading my lights from just compact fluorescent and i am trying to decide between these two fixtures
Coralife lunar aqualight T5 HO 4x39W plus moonlight LED or
Tek-light T5 4x39W (or possibally the 6x39W)
I have mostly LPS and soft corals but i am looking at starting to get into some easier to keep SPS.
Does anybody have any of these lights or what light would be best to get
Thanks

lorenz0
06-20-2011, 02:03 AM
How tall is the tank

spawn
06-20-2011, 03:17 AM
I have the 6 bulb tek. It's sitting 5" above the surface & it's about 19" to the sandbed. It works great for lots of sps & a few zoas & 2lps frog spawn which is mostly under an overhang & a candy cane that is in the sandbed. I wonder if it was higher if my purples would get darker? Any thought's Laurier?

BMahura
06-20-2011, 03:38 AM
the tank is 18"

lorenz0
06-20-2011, 03:41 PM
the tank is 18"

a 4 bulb tek would be perfect for what you plan on keeping. I know the coralife sounds amazing for what your getting (legs/moonlights/fans) but to be honest with you they really aren't a nice fixture. I have one right now and even after changing out a few bulbs it seemed to be a bit dim for a t5 fixture. I like my tek but i wish it was an ati lol
I have the 6 bulb tek. It's sitting 5" above the surface & it's about 19" to the sandbed. It works great for lots of sps & a few zoas & 2lps frog spawn which is mostly under an overhang & a candy cane that is in the sandbed. I wonder if it was higher if my purples would get darker? Any thought's Laurier?

Mine were actually maybe 10" away from the light max when I had my deep purples. I found that the less you change stuff in the tank (dosing or what ever) and you stick with a solid type of salt they will eventually come out. Purples to me seem to be more concentrated on water quality. when mine came out the most I just laid back and did nothing... literally