PDA

View Full Version : big skimmer requirements buy or DIY?

e46er
06-18-2011, 07:07 PM
So this doesnt really have anything to do with reefs but im posting this here because i figure this section will have the most traffic of people with knowledge on large skimmers

my buddy is moving at the end of the month and has decided to convert his 220 discus tank to a predator tank he was talking eels or triggers ect now what are reccomendations on skimmers for predator tanks over 200 G??

buy a skimmer or DIY he's fairly handy and not rich so he was leaning towards a DIY

thoughts sugguestions??

Rogue951
06-18-2011, 07:17 PM
easiest for a DIY skimmer I would think would be a beckett skimmer or a simple airstone skimmer.

Becketts inject water into a tower of bioballs and through that turbulent effect creates the bubbles for skimming.

a google search should come up with some plans. I found some a few years ago.

I've seen ppl with huge 6 foot tall airstone skimmers. they turn into room cornerpieces with LED's lol...

ScubaSteve
06-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Depends on what you are trying to achieve. I often find that a DIY project offers more in the value of feeling like you did a damn good job and built your own stuff, rather than in cost savings. Bare in mind that manufacturers get a far greater discount on materials than we do.

That being said, I love DIY so much that I have my own CNC mill just to make fun stuff.

I think the better route would be to figure out the skimmer he wants and them do an eBay search, CanReef search or BCAquaria search to see if you can find a used skimmer. Probably get better performance for your $$$.

DiverDude
06-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Let me answer your question with a question: Which do you have more of -time or money ? :mrgreen:

Ignoring the satisfaction one derives from a good DIY project, if money isn't an issue and time is, then buy one. Otherwise, the larger the skimmer the more you'll save by DIY'ing it.