PDA

View Full Version : carbon dosers

bignose
06-18-2011, 05:57 PM
I've been dosing vodka for 3 weeks now and getting good results. I know there is the right kind of bacteria in the tank because my skimmer is producing 3-4x the skimmate. I would like to dose with bacteria but I'm having trouble choosing what kind.

Just wondering what brand of bacteria carbon dosers are using.

phi delt reefer
06-18-2011, 06:00 PM
A popular option is brightwell aquatics microbacter 7 aka "MB7"

spawn
06-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Zeobak 2* a week & Bacter Boost by Weiss once every 2nd week with vodka or Zeo start3 daily.

ScubaSteve
06-18-2011, 06:43 PM
I literally just started dosing MB7 today. I've read a lot of good things about it. Look for SunnyX's thread on RC about MB7 and Vodka.

Pirates_Gold
06-18-2011, 07:04 PM
I have tried bio-pellets that most stores seem to brand as their own claim to fame...did not care for them despite all of their hype. Also ran with the Ultra Lith and loved it, but was not able to keep up with daily dosing. I have now used Prodibio for over a year with very good results. Wayne (aka fencer) here on Canreef has experimented with nearly all of them, so he should able able to lend some guidance.

bignose
06-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I've tried to find MB7 without luck in Edmonton. spawn have you used both zeoback and bacter boost ever since you started dosing vodka?

spawn
06-18-2011, 07:35 PM
I've tried to find MB7 without luck in Edmonton. spawn have you used both zeoback and bacter boost ever since you started dosing vodka?
I've used the bacter boost since I bought my rock & started cycling a year ago, the 1 bottle I bought was like $20 & still going:smile:, & about 7-8 months on the vodka & probably about a month after I started with the vodka I bought the Zeobak because I felt like I probably was lacking in diversity. I had a small bloom happen once when I first started using the bak because at that point I was still adding the boost weekly. So I switched it up when I was dosing, no problems since.