PDA

View Full Version : LF Sump Pump

MEDHBSI
06-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Im looking for a good sump pump i have a 46gallon sump and a 110gallon tank

Aquatek
06-17-2011, 07:46 PM
I have a 1600 GPH needle wheel pump I don't need anymore. $30. Used for a few weeks. Let me know if this works for you.

MEDHBSI
06-17-2011, 07:49 PM
can you meet me around my area? im setting up a 110g tank and im sooo busy

Aquatek
06-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah I probably could. When and where? PM me.

intarsiabox
06-17-2011, 10:17 PM
If you are looking at the pump to return water to your tank from a sump a needle wheel isn't what you want. Needle wheels are used to create lots of bubbles in skimmers you will want a regular centrifugal impeller design to push water.

MEDHBSI
06-17-2011, 10:30 PM
well i guess i have an extra needle wheel now damn hes already on his way oh well sooo im still looking then

Aquatek
06-17-2011, 11:02 PM
If you are looking at the pump to return water to your tank from a sump a needle wheel isn't what you want. Needle wheels are used to create lots of bubbles in skimmers you will want a regular centrifugal impeller design to push water.
A needle wheel is just another form of impeller. If there is no air then there is no bubbles. The only way you can create bubbles is with a venturi or your sump runs dry. I have used this style of pump in many of my tanks. You are correct that they get used in skimmers to chop the bubbles but work equally well as a pump to push water, they are just rated for less gph. Either way, I have a regular pump as well. Your choice. I'll bring both.

intarsiabox
06-18-2011, 02:18 AM
A needle wheel is just another form of impeller. If there is no air then there is no bubbles. The only way you can create bubbles is with a venturi or your sump runs dry. I have used this style of pump in many of my tanks. You are correct that they get used in skimmers to chop the bubbles but work equally well as a pump to push water, they are just rated for less gph. Either way, I have a regular pump as well. Your choice. I'll bring both.

Thanks but I already know a skimmer needs air in order to create a lot of bubbles. A needle wheel is just a flat plate with a bunch of pins sticking out of it used to mix air and water into a froth, it will move very little water against any head pressure. You need to know the GPH against a pump curve that will tell you how many GPH it can actually do at at the height of your return line into the display tank. The GPH printed on the pump is at 0 feet of height. A regular centrifugal impeller will by far produce more flow. Keep in mind though that you don't need a ton of flow through your sump, I used a Mag9.5 on my 90g DT and 45g sump and still had to dial the discharge flow down a bit.

Aquatek
06-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Thanks but I already know a skimmer needs air in order to create a lot of bubbles. A needle wheel is just a flat plate with a bunch of pins sticking out of it used to mix air and water into a froth, it will move very little water against any head pressure. You need to know the GPH against a pump curve that will tell you how many GPH it can actually do at at the height of your return line into the display tank. The GPH printed on the pump is at 0 feet of height. A regular centrifugal impeller will by far produce more flow. Keep in mind though that you don't need a ton of flow through your sump, I used a Mag9.5 on my 90g DT and 45g sump and still had to dial the discharge flow down a bit.

The point I was trying to make was that a needle wheel will work perfectly fine for a system of that size. There are a lot of pumps you can buy that use needle wheels. That pump was rated at 1300gph with a head of 5ft. You could use a much smaller pump than that to return water. We have now jacked the thread and are pretty much arguing the same point. LOL!:lol: I actually use the same Mag on my 60g. It's running my return and my skimmer and I have both dialed down. Not that the skimmer or tank require a lot of flow anyway. :wink: