PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Pond pump

LarryB
06-17-2011, 12:28 PM
When I started my pond (2000 gallons) I tried all kinds of pumps - old sump pumps ; for a year I used a pool pump ( VERY EXPENSIVE on electricity ) then I went out and spent the money on a Laguna 7000 power-jet - at only 100 watts and about 2000 gph I love it. It has worked for about 8 years now and the impeller seems to be loose. I think the plastic housing around the front end has worn away letting the front of the ceramic shaft rattle. It will run for a while and then stop as if I turned off the switch. Letting it sit a while will get it going again for a while longer, but it's not smooth, I can actually hear rattling.

If buying a new impeller will solve my problem I'll be happy to. If not, what pump do you recommend ? I don't want to go down on my flow. I like the 2000 gph.

MMAX
06-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I've used Little Giants in my pond now for about 2 years. I have a 4280 running my stream/waterfalls and a 1250 powering my filter. No problems yet and they run flawlessly. The 1250 ran all year long and the 4280 runs from about March to November 24/7. I'm sure Little Giant makes something in the 2000gph range that you'll be happy with.

LarryB
06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I remember considering Little Giant when I first started. They do seem to be very reliable. The only problem I found was their electricity consumption. I think the big one that you have uses something like 650 watts. I do know that they are very popular though.

Thanks for the input