PDA

View Full Version : Please explaine your beckett adjusting methods.

Canadian Man
01-20-2004, 11:53 PM
As the title says. This is a question for the beckett skimmer users.

Cheers

Delphinus
01-21-2004, 12:31 AM
(Do I count as a beckett user? Or a bullet user? It's almost the same thing.)

I have my water/air interface approximately 1/3 up the reaction chamber.

If you look at all the beckett skimmer designs out there, you'll notice that there tends to be a lot of differences in terms of size of reaction chamber/size of riser. This is a little suggestive to me that guesswork is a big part of things even with the manufactured models. When you get down to it, if it works then it works, but it's really hard to compare two different models and determine that "model X" has 1% better efficiency than "model Y".

Basically I think you want your riser to be full of foam (no water that high). Adjust it from there higher or lower if you want a wetter foam or a drier foam.

Does this help at all? I'm thinking probably not. If you have any specific questions fire them away and I'll do my best to explain what I do (not that it's right or wrong, but I just generally do what seems to work well enough for me ... I'm not that fussy when it comes down to it).

StirCrazy
01-21-2004, 12:54 AM
As the title says. This is a question for the beckett skimmer users.

Cheers

I tuurn off the air, turn on the pump, let it settle out then open the air 1/2 way. done

Steve

Jack
01-21-2004, 12:55 AM
Having problems adjusting your new skimmer?

I set water hight to first flange then open air to about 80% (where I get the finest bubbles) this lowers the foam/water hight a bit so I raise it a tad after adding the air.

Canadian Man
01-21-2004, 01:40 AM
Not really Jack just wanted to know. Like to fiddle with things.

So when you guy's say you open your air 1/2 or 80% I am wondering what size air nozzle/hole/intake your using?

I am using a 1/4" JGV.

Tony your info is very helpful.

:smile:

Jack
01-21-2004, 01:52 AM
I'm using the same 1/4" JG valve too. I find them a bit qwirky but after you get it set you don't have to touch it.

What does everyone else use?

Aquattro
01-21-2004, 03:33 AM
I set my water to just above the box. I then open my valve wide open. Mine is abit bigger than the JG 1/4. I aim for the most foam I can get with the finest bubbles.

Canadian Man
01-21-2004, 04:11 AM
If mine is wide open than I do notice that the bubbles at the top of the skimmer are violent and large. I adjusted it to about 3/4 to 1/2 way closed and the bubbles got significantly smaller but I had to raise my water height up alot.