PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the beckett users

Canadian Man
01-20-2004, 11:51 PM
1. When you clean your collection cup do you just clean the collection cup do you-

a. Just clean your collection cup?
b. Clean the collection cup and body?
c. Clean the collection cup, body and injector?
d. Other.

Any other insight would be helpful. Like your frequency of cleaning these above mentioned items.

Cheers

Buccaneer
01-21-2004, 12:21 AM
a. Just clean your collection cup?
b. Clean the collection cup and body?
c. Clean the collection cup, body and injector?
d. Other.

Any other insight would be helpful. Like your frequency of cleaning these above mentioned items.

I pick " C " ... what do I win ? :mrgreen: :razz:

As to frequency of cleaning ... how about not often enough ? ... too lazy I guess but it could go a couple months before I got to it ( the collection cup has a drain tube to the floor drain in the basement so it can never overflow )

Cheers

Delphinus
01-21-2004, 12:24 AM
C, and once per week. I use a spatula (my spatula, not one from the kitchen :lol:) and wipe the mud out of the reaction chamber. The riser and collection cup I just wash out at the sink.

Then I take a paper towel and wipe down whatever I missed.

I try to make a weekly occurence, otherwise the skimmer loses effectiveness. Just because I try to make it weekly though, doesn't mean that it really is.

Delphinus
01-21-2004, 12:27 AM
I should qualify what I mean by I clean my injector once per week. Don't forget that my skimmer is an old-style bullet which means the injector is fully encased and I don't really have access to it.

So I take a hose and a bucket of fresh water and I suck up the fresh water and hope to heck that this is doing something useful (I have no way of knowing).

So once every month or two I take off my bullet altogether and soak it under water for a few hours, and then shake-shake-shake the heck out of it. Spray fresh water in from both sides, etc. And hope that this dislodges any goo/salt buildup. I repeat until I can't see anything in there, and then I put it back.

StirCrazy
01-21-2004, 12:53 AM
"C"

Steve

Jack
01-21-2004, 12:58 AM
I clean the cup and riser every week. I only clean the beckett if I notice loss of foam produciton (this can happen several times a week but with a quick visual each day I can keep it running optimaly)

Canadian Man
01-21-2004, 01:42 AM
THANKS Guys :cool:

I suppose I have to get in the habbit of draning the Monster :confused:
and washing it out.

SHEESH! WHY did I build such a big skimmer again :rolleyes: :lol:

EmilyB
01-21-2004, 01:50 AM
I have a Euroreef and only have to clean the cup....... :razz: :lol: :mrgreen:

Jack
01-21-2004, 01:57 AM
Em I ran an ES8-2 on one of our systems for a few weeks and all I have to say is my DIY beckett killed it. No questions. :razz: :lol:

EmilyB
01-21-2004, 02:01 AM
Hey, we're talking about cleaning here Jack...... :rolleyes: :razz:

Jack
01-21-2004, 02:04 AM
Ooops sorry Em. :wink: I forgot.

Aquattro
01-21-2004, 03:30 AM
"C", ideally once a week. If I leave it 2 weeks, it gets really ugly.

Canadian Man
01-21-2004, 04:13 AM
I have a Euroreef and only have to clean the cup....... :razz: :lol: :mrgreen:
Notice the title. "Beckett users" :razz: :lol: :razz:

So obviously the general consensus seems to be that everyone cleans the body of the skimmer. Ahhh more work! I love it :rolleyes:

Jack
01-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Probably easier to split your bottom riser in half with some flanges. Makes cleaning a lot easier.

Doug
01-21-2004, 01:30 PM
A normal cleaning is removal of the cup and clean it. Leave the skimmer running, with the water below the cup. Take my big skimmer cleaning brush and give the top portion of the skimmer a cleaning, again while its running.

I cleaned the cup, a minimum of once/week. Injector whenever performance is noticably less.

Canadian Man
01-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Doug,
Do you just rinse the beckett with water and scrub it or do you soak it in viniger?

That makes sense Jack but tooo much of a PAIN in the A$$ at this point.

I don't fee like making another Flange.

Doug
01-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Just back flush it.

Skimmerking
01-21-2004, 05:05 PM
ya i used to stick mine in the flush too..

SORRY HAD TO DO IT >

StirCrazy
01-21-2004, 06:31 PM
I take mine out and clean the slime off the inside as I always have little snails inside of it.

Steve

stephane
01-22-2004, 06:02 AM
Clean the cup once a week and injector once a month I never clean the
body in my 30 inch in 2 years it was full of life. I sold it to a guy and he
have not cleant it he said the skimmer look like a refugum :mrgreen:

the for foot is now 4 month old and he will never be cleaned

Canadian Man
01-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Any pics of your new skimmer Stephane?