PDA

View Full Version : Weird things that grow on snails...

jon.smolders
06-14-2011, 11:32 PM
So... what the heck is this? Some kind of hydroid or filter feeding worm? Algae? They're about 2 inches long and have been growing on this snail for a month or so now. They don't seem to bother the snail, he keeps cruising along... its easy to spot him now :)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/jsmolders/Weirdthingonsnail2.jpg

Delphinus
06-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Awwww cool! Mermaid's cup algae!

Enjoy it while it lasts .. it will likely eventually disappear.

Wingin It
06-15-2011, 12:15 AM
HOLY FREAKIN' COOL!!! :D

pscott99
06-15-2011, 03:34 PM
For some reason I immediately thought of the old jetsons cartoon. Mine has green bubble algae on it. Yours is way cooler.

ferret
06-15-2011, 08:21 PM
A nice type of macro aglae ( Acetabularia sp. ) and difficult to handle. I'm jealous that you can keep it alive for more than a month without being eaten by other snails or fishes since mine was being destroyed by the strong current and part of the algae was eaten by the snails a year before.

jon.smolders
06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Sweet, thanks for the ID guys. Yeah, it's been doing fine over the last month, though I think part of the reason is that my only fish at the moment is a sixline wrasse (he's not too interested in eating it). Funny thing is, I was looking at one of my other snails and it looks like one might be starting to grow on him as well! lol

I might try transplanting one or two of the stalks... scrape the holdfast off with a razor and let it sit in some rubble, or super glue it to a rock...

fishytime
06-17-2011, 03:34 PM
I might try transplanting one or two of the stalks... scrape the holdfast off with a razor and let it sit in some rubble, or super glue it to a rock...

cool find.......your not at all worried that you may be back here in six months asking how to get rid of it???:razz::lol:

ferret
06-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Looking forward to the successful growth of your mermaid's cup algae so that I can trade with mine over 15 types of red marco algae for your selection.