PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Wrasse question

Wayne
06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Well I got nailed pretty bad again by a bristtle worm and I plan on trapping them plus I am looking for a long term solution. A predator that actively hunts and kills them :lol:

I am not a huge fan of the look of a 6 Line, I would prefer a Yellow/Golden Wrasse. Does anyone know how good of a job they do at controlling the bristtle population? Can I get both for a 90 gallon? Any other dietary needs that I need to know about?

Thanks

TimT
06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
The best predator of bristle worms I have come across is the large red hairy hermits. Dardanus sp.

Arrow crabs will also eat them.

As for fish I think most Thalassoma sp wrasse eat them.

None of the above solutions are safe for other inverts or small fish.

toytech
06-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I have a bananna wrasse , and he loves bristle worms , ive heard coral banded shrimp will eat them too but they can be a pain.

Skimmerking
06-13-2011, 11:01 PM
yup alot of wrasses will
6 line
8 line
4 line
yellow coris
leopard
black wrasse

Wayne
06-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I really like the shrimp and crabs but I heard that they can get aggressive? I have a few slower moving fish, some peppermint and cleaner shrimp aswell.

I also have a full reef tank thats mainly softies. My fish are all fairly docile so someone who fits in that category I would love to order up :lol:

Wayne
06-17-2011, 02:49 AM
Well I went down to one LFS and I was told that the Yellow Coris Wrasse doesn't eat bristtle worms regularly so I picked up a Coral Banded Shrimp instead :neutral:

I may get a yellow anyways because I really like the way they look, also still wondering if I can get both the six line and yellow in the same tank?

whatcaneyedo
06-17-2011, 02:58 AM
I tried to keep a canary wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) with a six line in a 50gal. Within a week the canary lost an eye so I sold the six line. However a local friend keeps both just fine in his 250gal. So at some point they can be kept together... but I'm not sure if a 90gal is large enough.

Wayne
06-18-2011, 03:14 AM
Thanks Russell I won't try my chances at the sake of the fishes then. I think I will just get the yellow and hope he gets a taste for bristles :)