PDA

View Full Version : Live rock/Coral Glue?

SleepyPirate
06-10-2011, 04:52 AM
Ok so I have 50lbs of Live rock with some coral, I had it proped up nicly till I spotted this lil black crab thats been hiding, needless to say the tank is in disaray in my venture to catch this SOB:twised:. So my question is how can I semi/perm glue my rock together so I dont have landslides, do I use silicon if so what kind and whats the best way to setup the rock (pattern?)

jostafew
06-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Best stuff to use (may be permanent depending on how you apply) is the 2-part epoxy putty you get at the LFS. Mash it together like playdough then apply between the rocks and spread out. It's a mechanical bond (not sticky like glue) so if you want a permanent connection be sure to cast it around some good features in the rock. I also use it to position stony corals in the same way. The epoxy may be used underwater, but i'd suggest doing the bulk of the work outside the tank as the putty tends to cloud the water as you work with it. Non-toxic, but doesn't bad until it clears.

For softies I like to use CA glue from the modeling world. Small puddle of CA on the rock, then just put the coral's base into the CA puddle, give it 10 seconds or so to cure up (moisture kicks it off) and then place the new assembly into the aquarium, preferably in a low-current area until the glue sets and/or the coral begins to attach itself to the rock.

Magma
06-20-2011, 08:12 PM
I have some rock that I got from a local reefer that used the 2-part epoxy to hold some SPS corals down, im sure if the corals were still there it would be fine as they would encrust over that but now I have a rock which has a few blue blobs of silly putty on it and IMO it looks ugly, I use Loctite super glue and it works fine for most things.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/loctiteltsupgtreglt-supgt-superltsupgtreglt-supgt-glue-gel-control/973098

jostafew
06-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend blue for putty, but you can nice purple colored stuff that just looks like coraline algae, and given time the cream colored stuff (which I prefer) gets covered in algae etc. too so not such a big deal in my experience.

Magma
06-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Yah I have the blue, grey, white, pink, purple they all stick out but then again in a younger tank it will, Im hoping once the rocks start to colour up and the zoa's start to spreed then it wont be an issue.

I dunno everyone has different needs and preferences and I can see why the putty is better for SPS corals but for softies I use the tried and true glue.

jostafew
06-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Oh yeah, Epoxy Putty wouldn't work on softies at all!

SleepyPirate
06-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for replys guys!

Lampshade
06-22-2011, 01:25 AM
I've been using some stuff i got at OC out here called speed glue. It's a powder you add a bit of water to. took a few times of making it into peanut butter, and it would fall apart in the tank, i found out that adding a bit less water, letting it semi harden, it works GREAT. Corals that i've mounted on this stuff actually encrust on it nearly right away, it doesn't burn the coral stems like epoxy does. I've used it for holding rocks, once it's ahrd it won't break, seems great.

anyways, just another option for you. I've started to love this stuff.

reefwars
06-22-2011, 01:49 AM
if its just the rocks your looking to secure many people have used small acrylic rods or zip ties, just drill some holes and away you go, works good for weird rock scaping and over hangs with large rocks smaller ones ive always used epoxy .for corals you will have to look at other means like mentioned above:)

mrtaylor
07-25-2011, 10:33 PM
with the Acrylic rod, you mean to use it as a dowel? Drill a hole in each of the peices of LR, then stick the rod into each hole? Anything more to it than that?

QT

lastlight
07-25-2011, 10:41 PM
I like to take a hammer to a piece of rock and make some rubble first. I use the pieces that are still small but will lay flat on the table and not tip over. I paper towel dry the rock and the bottom of the frag. Then some crazy glue gel onto the rock and let that set up for maybe a few minutes. Then I use a ball of putty with a blob of glue on each side to adhere the rubble to my rockwork. It's strong, natural looking and I can still pry the thing off if I have to move the coral.

reefwars
07-25-2011, 10:59 PM
with the Acrylic rod, you mean to use it as a dowel? Drill a hole in each of the peices of LR, then stick the rod into each hole? Anything more to it than that?

QT

nope its as easy as that what youll want to do is if your rock is very light or small start with a small bit a work your way up to a larger bit so as not to crack the rock, if its very dense or really large it shouldnt split.use some epoxy on each end of the rods(optional) and insert into the rock....easy way to create unique designs:):) not sure on the size of rod youll want it probably varies depending on the weight but id say 10mm-12mm wouyld work just fine:)

DiverDude
07-26-2011, 12:29 AM
What kind of drill bit do people use for this -masonry bit ?

reefwars
07-26-2011, 12:37 AM
What kind of drill bit do people use for this -masonry bit ?

wouldnt matter really as the rock we use isnt that hard the trick is to start with a smaller bit then increase the size.if one wanted you could use a masonry bit or diamond bit but youd get away even with a wood bit.

DiverDude
07-26-2011, 01:00 AM
wouldnt matter really as the rock we use isnt that hard the trick is to start with a smaller bit then increase the size.if one wanted you could use a masonry bit or diamond bit but youd get away even with a wood bit.

I'd think that a wood bit would grab too much -but then I haven't tried yet ! One thing is for sure, with the exception of the masonry bit, anything you use is going to be junk afterwards (or need a serious resharpening !)

reefwars
07-26-2011, 01:07 AM
I'd think that a wood bit would grab too much -but then I haven't tried yet ! One thing is for sure, with the exception of the masonry bit, anything you use is going to be junk afterwards (or need a serious resharpening !)

a wood bit probably will if you use a drill with a low rpm or a large bit but if you use a electric drill it would be fine the rock we use is really soft in the stoneworld of things but to be safe just use a diamond bit like we use for drilling tile they are small and have a spade shape top,using some water wouldnt hurt either to keep it sharp(i work doing tile and other stonework)

if you do use a wood bit it wont be no good for anything else lol if the rock your drilling is real hard then i would not use any bit beside a masonry bit or diamond bit as any other bit will just melt away from the heat.

lastlight
07-26-2011, 03:01 AM
I use my smallest bit and do many holes in a circle then just pop out the core. Never break a rock this way.