PDA

View Full Version : Lighting, a beginner’s guide (part 1)

StirCrazy
01-20-2004, 05:09 AM
NO, VHO, PC, MH, URI, Phillips, Ushio, IceCap, Fulham, etc...
These are all terms/words that have been flooding our minds from the first minute we started to learn about our tanks, and the types of equipment to use on them.Although most are useful, some are just brand names and don’t really tell us much but needless to say, they have become associated with the talk we talk in the hobby.

I am going to do a series of write-ups on what I hope, I have become just a little knowledgeable in over the last 4 years of pulling my hair trying to figure it all out.

A little bit about my background first; I am presently employed with the Department of National Defense as a Marine Engineering Technician, and as well as mechanical theory, my schooling has included a fair amount of electronics, electricity, AC and DC theory, and instrumentation and controls. This is in addition to the regular mechanical, pipe fitting, machinist etc... training we receive. I do not claim to know everything but I do like to think I have a fair working knowledge of electronics and such as I have been doing some of it as a hobby and work for about 20 years.

Well here is Part 1, Fluorescent lighting.

What is Fluorescent ballast you might ask? The answer is nothing more than a current controlling device. The basic ballast is made up of a transformer (to raise voltage), a choke or winding (to limit current in conjunction with the tube) and a capacitor (to raise efficiency). So you ask what is the difference between NO, HO and VHO ballast, basically in a simple system it is the maximum current that the ballast is designed to output. This means that a ballast made for NO lighting will be able to put out a max current of 0.4Amps, a HO ballast outputs around 0.8Amps (also the same make up as a ballast for Power compacts), and a VHO is approximately 1.5Amps. All this doesn’t tell you how much power the actual tube consumes though as this is also a factor of the resistance of the tube. To make different wattages of tubes the manufactures build a specific resistance value into the tube its self, so that when this resistance is added to the resistance of the ballast you can then use the current to figure out the actual tube power output. Lucky for us this is labeled on the tubes and we don’t have to do the math.

Lately the big buzz is Electronic ballasts. What does this mean to Fluorescent tube users? Well basically they operate the same as basic ballast with one major difference; Where a normal ballast runs on a 60Hz frequency, an electronic ballast will take this and transform it into a much higher frequency, typically 20,000 Hz or higher. So why is this important? Well, a Fluorescent light basically operates by turning on and off very fast. A normal ballast does this 120 times a second or twice the Hz by running the tube at 20,000Hz you are turning the tube on and off 40,000 times a second so you get a much more constant light.

So what are the benefits from running electronic ballasts?
1, you can use smaller solid-state circuitry allowing for smaller and lighter ballast.
2, since the tube is switched on/off faster there is less cooling in-between cycles allowing a higher thermal efficiency and also less flickering of the lamp.

And 3, the operating cost of the ballast is improved by 10 to 20% and actual tube output is increased by 10% due to the higher frequency for the same power input or the tube can be run at 10% less power and give the same light output.

There also are some disadvantages to electronic ballasts and some of them are: higher cost, more electrical interference from the higher frequencies depending on the design, and they require a larger current on initial start up than regular ballasts.

Other words you hear are power compacts and T8, T12, T5 and so on, the T# relates to the size of the tube, the actual physical diameter. A T12 is a 1.5” dia., T10 is 1.25” dia., and a T8 is 1” dia. The thinner you make the tubes the more intense they are for the same power so this is why a 32 watt T8 tube will give out the same amount of light as a 40 watt T12 tube.

So how does this all apply to the tanks, well one of the first choices you have to make is how you are going to light your tanks. Are you going to use florescent for main lighting, for actinic or not at all? The 3 choices are all valid. If you have a fish only tank, don't waist the money on VHO, PC, or MH. Just use NO for both daylight and actinic. After all in a fish only it is just for looks.

If you go predominantly low light you might consider using a mix of NO (for actinic) and VHO (for daylight) or all VHO, or even PC. In a medium to high light set up you could use NO, VHO, PC, MH or any combination of them.

Which ever you decide, do your home work and be realistic first, you might end up spending more saying I will start with VHO and upgrade to MH later when I get more light demanding corals, take it from me I upgraded my lights 4 times because I had to try PC’s and overdriven NO, and this and that but I ended up settling on MH for daylight and VHO for actinic, and I would have saved about 2000.00 if I just went to MH/VHO to start with.

The next Part in this series I will talk about MH and the different options that are out there.

Steve

Namscam
01-20-2004, 05:28 AM
very nice Steve..you did a good job explaining everything

christyf5
01-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks Steve! This is great information :cool:

Christy :)

BCOrchidGuy
01-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Steve, I was really tempted to ask you to do this but I thought it would be asking too much. I appreciate this, and I understand this is no small task.

Doug

IslandReefer
01-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks Steve great summery.
You just touched on the topic of: smaller diameter flo bulbs are more intense. Why then is the most common T12?? Is it just economy?ie cheaper more availible than eg T8,T5?? or is there more to it??
John

StirCrazy
01-25-2004, 04:35 PM
First of all I would like to thank everyone for the kind words on the write up, I was a little anxous about doing it as some times written work is harder than spoken. i will be doing some MH testing in the next bit and after that I will do the MH section.

VHO is only available in T12, you can get a lot of aquarium bulbs in T10 and T8, and now the newest craze is T5's but they are crazy expensive.

PC's are an example of the smaller tube technology so they are used a fair bit.

Also some of the bulbs we are using are not made for the hobby or they are a specific bulb created for a comercial use, just works out that it works for us also. an example of this is the philips NO 03 actinic bulbs. if I remember corectly they were designed for use in photocoypers originaly. now they market them for fish tanks.

Steve

Steve

Doug
01-26-2004, 01:34 PM
:biggrin: Very good Steve.

TNTCanada
01-31-2004, 01:09 AM
Helped me out a lot thanks Steve :mrgreen:

Doug
12-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Sticky it is. :smile:

StirCrazy
12-08-2004, 10:51 PM

Hmm guess this means I will have to get my but in gear on part 2 :mrgreen:

Steve

rusty
02-13-2005, 09:54 PM

Hmm guess this means I will have to get my but in gear on part 2 :mrgreen:

Steve
please do I want to get halides for the new tank I am making. Ifpart 2 is like part one it should explain every thing I will need to know, Thanks :biggrin:

Xtasia
03-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Thank you for posting this. I went into zombie mode when people started yelling out numbers and letters (assuming they either ment powerhead IDs or lighting)... too much for me to absorb!

This definitely helps!!

Do MHs soon please, as I have MHs!

muck
03-07-2005, 03:49 AM
Any progress on Part 2 Steve..? :cool:

StirCrazy
03-07-2005, 11:15 PM

yup, just got to make it all make sence now hehe.

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
03-26-2005, 04:13 PM
This means that a ballast made for NO lighting will be able to put out a max current of 0.4Amps, a HO ballast outputs around 0.8Amps (also the same make up as a ballast for Power compacts), and a VHO is approximately 1.5Amps.

Steve, just curious does this only apply to 4ft tubes or other lengths as well?

Doug

StirCrazy
03-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Steve, just curious does this only apply to 4ft tubes or other lengths as well?

Doug

all lengths, the length (and make up) of the bulb is what determines the resistance and when run on that current it will give you the wattage.

Steve

JOEL
04-21-2005, 02:40 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the good information. I was wondering if part 2 was out yet as I'm just in the process of looking for MH ballasts and the more info I can get, the better. I'm thinking of buying IceCap 250 watt to run HQI
or regular MH bulbs, I also hear that the IceCap can run HQI's or regular bulbs - or are there better ballasts out there that you know of??

Thanks in advance

Joel

StirCrazy
04-21-2005, 05:17 AM
or are there better ballasts out there that you know of??

Thanks in advance

Joel

yes there are, any other non electronic ballast. Electronic ballasts underdrive the bulbs so you don't get the full capability out of the bulb.. the amount of power this saves will take years to offset the cost difference.

I personaly prefer the M80 tar ballasts (250 watt HQI ballast) they will run any 250 watt bulb out there. if they are to expensive then the next best choise would be a pulse start ballast.

Steve

JOEL
04-21-2005, 10:46 PM
hi Steve

Do you know where I can get an m80 ballast at a good price
for a dIy project? And is there differant brands of m 80s? Also what kind of bulbs do you use?

joel

muck
12-06-2005, 05:05 PM

yup, just got to make it all make sence now hehe.

Steve

Figured it out yet..?? :razz: :mrgreen: