PDA

View Full Version : Help getting fish out of overflow

amy
06-06-2011, 04:18 AM
I have 3 bar gobies stuck in my overflow and I can't get them out. Can anyone help?

Aquattro
06-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Large hose, siphon them out?

mark
06-06-2011, 04:54 AM
I've pulled out the standpipes so the overflow empties then pick the fish out of the filter sock or sump

The Grizz
06-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Same thing I have had to do, if you can pull the stand pipes Amy it will work. Do you have a valve on the overflow lines going to the sump? If so you could close it, pull the pipes and fish them out with a small net.

amy
06-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Honestly, I have no idea how that part is all setup. Hubby takes care of that but he's out of town right now. I haven't seen my other 2 gobies this morning, so I'm assuming they've joined their friends in the overflow. Grrrrr
If I start taking pipes apart, is there any risk they won't go back together?

ALang
06-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Amy,
It all depends on how they are put together.
Most of them are screwed into a bulk head instead of glued. But can your hand fit into the overflow box to try and turn the pipes?
How big are the gobies? You might be able to siphon them out one at a time, using a slightly larger diameter of tubing. You'd have to hold the suction until you get them out, which may be a very tough thing to do.
Keep us posted Amy.

mark
06-06-2011, 02:14 PM
the stand pipes are just the stubs in the overflow chamber and usually just pushed into the bulkhead. If you are running a Herbie, probably want to open up fully before doing.

May find though if remove the standpipes might have more room for a net.