PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Aquaristick IN-80 Question

CherylMcKay
06-06-2011, 01:56 AM
I have a Vertex IN-80 that is skimming to the extreme. I have had it installed and running for about a month now. I did have to remove the sump to fix it and drill it but I was still running with a fluval filter.In 2 weeks I have probably changed out 40 Gallons of water in a 75 Gallon tank with a 30-35 gallon sump. It skims so hard the water in the sump has a layer of foam on it.... I would love some advice as it is driving me nuts. I don't think the water still has that amount of disolved proteins in it but I am unsure what I should be checking for or if this skimmer is just not the right one for my sump.

Thanks

apexifd
06-06-2011, 02:24 AM
check for:

water level
clog air intake
and chemical that drives skimmer crazy... eg.. 2 part epoxy.

CherylMcKay
06-06-2011, 04:12 AM
The air tube is not plugged, I haven't put any additives in the tank... I have been curing the water by letting it sit off with an airstone for a few days.

the only thing I can really think is water level.... It is an insump skimmer and currently the water is 8-10 inches deep. The water level cannot get any lower then 6 inches. What would be the appropriate water level for this skimmer?

ScubaSteve
06-06-2011, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=CherylMcKay;617423... I have been curing the water by letting it sit off with an airstone for a few days.

[/QUOTE]

Wait, are you skimming while curing the rock? If so, thst might be why it's going nutso.

mr_alberta
06-06-2011, 11:12 PM
What is the water level inside the skimmer? Maybe you have it set too high?

RedCoralOnlineStore
06-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Does it help if you turn the adjustment tube down? The tube that controls the water level?
My vertex is extremely touchy but once set, it is reliable and efficient. Just 1 mm too far and it will foam over.

CherylMcKay
06-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Which tube is the adjustment tube.... If I turn down the flow out it skims more. I couldn't see any fittings that allowed me to adjust the amount of water inside the skimmer.... it is all foamy. I could have put it together wrong... the instructions were sparse. :)

CherylMcKay
06-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Wait, are you skimming while curing the rock? If so, thst might be why it's going nutso.
No I am not curing rock with this skimmer. I am curing my water without using chemical additives... so I am not adding any water conditioner (I know that makes the skimmer foam like crazy too).

sully08
06-07-2011, 04:19 AM
The air tube is not plugged, I haven't put any additives in the tank... I have been curing the water by letting it sit off with an airstone for a few days.

the only thing I can really think is water level.... It is an insump skimmer and currently the water is 8-10 inches deep. The water level cannot get any lower then 6 inches. What would be the appropriate water level for this skimmer?
I have a 280 and I run it in about 61/2" of water, I heard through another blog that they run better at the lower end of the water level scale

sphelps
06-07-2011, 01:06 PM
The owners manual for that skimmer states the sump water level should be 6-8”, given that the IN-80 is the smallest skimmer this manual applies to I would aim for 6” to start. You can place something under the skimmer to lift it up if decreasing the sump water level isn’t possible.

HTH

RedCoralOnlineStore
06-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Which tube is the adjustment tube.... If I turn down the flow out it skims more. I couldn't see any fittings that allowed me to adjust the amount of water inside the skimmer.... it is all foamy. I could have put it together wrong... the instructions were sparse. :)

The tube sticking up in the air is the adjustment tube (probably a better name for it but that's what I call it:wink:)
If you turn it, it opens and closes the ammount of air which raises and lowers the level of the bubbles in the chamber. It is very sensitive and very small twists (1-2mm) make a huge difference, However it can take a couple minutes to adjust that level, so turn a small amount, wait, then a little more, etc)

(also If you can raise your skimmer up a couple inches by placing it on a "step" in the sump that might help. Water level really matters with skimmers. Will not work as efficiently unless placed correctly.)

(see in the pic - tube sticking striaght up...)
http://redcoralaquarium.net/online/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=804