PDA

View Full Version : Advice... restart or work around it

lorenz0
06-04-2011, 11:43 PM
So as I stated in my build thread, I am bringing my tank to my apartment. I had a thread previously about weight issues but after moving around my furniture (there really isn't much besides the couch and the tv) I have it on a load bearing wall and almost on a outside wall, but thats besides the point.

Now I don't know what has happened... but my tank is a complete mess. In the past month I had my skimmer pump fail and due to over feeding/what ever, there is algae everywhere. I have SPS colonies that have browned out, aiptasia is everywhere, and the worst part of it flatworms. I have no idea where these little buggers came from but in the past 2-3 weeks (haven't seen the tank that long) they have spread to almost every corner.

So here is my dilemma, should I work around all of these issues and struggle for months... or take out the LR (dry it out and cook it) and than add it slowly back into the system. There is only 6 colonies I want from this tank (red planet, green birdsnest, bird of many colors birdsnest, A.secale, and my 2 remaining milli's). If I did this I have a small amount of LR in my 20gal that I could put in the tank right now.

what do you guys think?

spawn
06-05-2011, 12:43 AM
dude cook it. use what u have to keep the colonies going Maybe buy a bit of cycles stuff from a friend. but kill all the worms, aptasisa,& scape the tank clean. "New Start"

The Grizz
06-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Hit the restart button Lorenzo, you will be much happier and it would probably be easier.

Zoaelite
06-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Hit the restart button Lorenzo, you will be much happier and it would probably be easier.

+1!

lorenz0
06-05-2011, 01:59 AM
I guess I can hook up the ATO to my 20gal and cross my fingers that the colonies I want to keep will be ok for a month. I have been thinking about it tonight and it is the best solution

I will hate myself if I loss this red planet, its honestly my pride and joy of the tank

Zoaelite
06-05-2011, 02:09 AM
I guess I can hook up the ATO to my 20gal and cross my fingers that the colonies I want to keep will be ok for a month. I have been thinking about it tonight and it is the best solution

I will hate myself if I loss this red planet, its honestly my pride and joy of the tank

I'm sure there is a reefer on here with some space in his tank, my mangrovefugium is open if your looking but it doesn't have the greatest flow.

The Grizz
06-05-2011, 04:10 AM
Also maybe you should sell some really nice sized frags to a really nice fellow reefer so if you need to replace some you would know where to get some when there ready to frag out. Just in case :biggrin:

lorenz0
06-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Greg, just give me a shout next time your in town. I got alot to spare

RedCoralOnlineStore
06-05-2011, 04:37 AM
:sad: nasty!

The Grizz
06-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Going to send you a PM, when my last phone crashed I lost your contact info or you could just come out to the Ride For Sight & check it out next Saturday.

e46er
06-08-2011, 01:43 AM
when i was on holidays 2 years ago my tank go to hell aafter 6 months of fighting BAD Hair algae i gave up ripped tank apart and scrubbed the rocks took a solid 6 hours of work to dismantle clean and re scape

i should have hit reset right away the 6 hours was nothing compared to the time and $$ and fustration that occured fighting problems

globaldesigns
06-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Ah man, sorry to hear about the troubles. Hope you figure things out.

I would find someone that could keep your corals. Maybe you do a trade, space for some nice frags of your wicked corals. I myself would like to offer you this, but I don't feel my tank is 100% yet.

Good luck!