PDA

View Full Version : To Egg Crate or not?

Steve'o
06-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm at a stage in my tank build .. and yes I am new to this so looking for some advice from this community. Should i put eggcrate on the bottomm of my tank before adding in sand and my dry rocks?
thanks all,
Steve'o

Delphinus
06-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Some folks do, but FWIW I've never bothered. I sit the rocks on the glass first, then add the sand after. If you put the rocks on the sand then they'll shift around over time.

RuGlu6
06-04-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm at a stage in my tank build .. and yes I am new to this so looking for some advice from this community. Should i put eggcrate on the bottomm of my tank before adding in sand and my dry rocks?
thanks all,
Steve'o

also you need some slow water flow through the substrate. with an eggcrate you will restrict that flow and potentially stagnent the sand bed especially if you have more the 4"of sand (will also depend on particle size).

So rocks 1st, then sand 2nd is a good advice.

Twinn
06-04-2011, 05:14 PM
+1 on the put the rock down first and then the sand.

As far as egg crate goes I looked over the information before starting my tank build and decided to do no egg crate. I did this because I want all the good little critters in the sand that stir the sand and eat algae, debries to be able to move through the sand. If your sand has egg crate in it parts of your sand will just become traps for all the bad stuff that builds up in sand.

On a side note everyone has heard of rock cracking the bottom panel of glass hence the reason to use egg crate but, I dont know anyone that has ever had this happen to them.

viperfish
06-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Yeah, lots of myths in this hobby! I had a Mantis that should have busted out of the glass and killed us in our sleep, yet no one I've talked to has ever seen it break glass. So don't believe everything you hear, putting eggcrate on the bottom is just going to mean one more place for detritus to hang up and increase the nutrients in your tank, and it's not like it's something that's easy to remove once your tank is set up

mark
06-04-2011, 06:09 PM
on the old tank when I had a DSB I made boxes out of eggcrate only so I was burying the bottom 4-5" of rock in the sand. If I had say 1" of sand doubt I would have bothered.

My current tank is BB and rock is sitting direct on the glass

daniella3d
06-04-2011, 11:24 PM
I did put a full sheet of egg crate underneet my liverock and it is fine as long as you wish to keep the sand. If you ever want to remove the sand, then you'll have to rove the egg crate and all the liverock to do so...no fun.

In my case it really helped to anchor my liverock and it would not be as stable if I had not put this. It does protect my bottom glass too.

thanks all,
Steve'o

whatcaneyedo
06-05-2011, 12:09 AM
When a local friend of mine first aquascaped his tank he accidentally dropped a rock from a short height and chipped the bottom glass. I believe that if there was egg crate in place (or a sheet of acrylic if you don't like egg crate) it would have better dispersed the impact and prevented the chip/crack. To be on the safe side he siliconed a piece of glass over the damaged area and so far there have been no issues in the 6 years that the tank has been running.

I personally don't have any in mine but the next time I have to empty it out to move it I will put of a sheet of acrylic in place. My eel occasionally likes to knock things over so it will help me sleep better at night.

spawn
06-05-2011, 03:07 AM
thanks all,
Steve'o
I used a sheet of acrylic that was about 1/2" smaller that the bottom of the tank, & then attached several 1"-1 1/2" H piers cut from 2" acrylic tubing to the acrylic to ensure stability of the base rocks against burrowers, flow or any accidental rock slides or falls. It has worked awesome, & so has having a sandbed looked IMO.

Wayne
06-05-2011, 03:58 AM
I like eggcrate bottom, just one thing that helps me sleep better at night. Its a crack that you will never see if you have a sandbed. That being said I have never heard of a bottom pane cracking either.

Madreefer
06-05-2011, 03:22 PM
A freind of mine put eggcrate in the bottom of his. Over time the sand eventually got moved around and it the eggcrate was visible. Looks like crap when that happens. It has now been removed. Use a thin peice of acrylic as others have suggested.

jon.smolders
06-05-2011, 04:32 PM
For years I never used eggcrate (and I still got a lot of detris buildup under my live rock), but finally decided to add some last January when I set the tank up again after we moved. Instead of doing the whole tank bottom, however, I cut out small chunks and strips (2"-3" pieces) and placed them under the parts of the rock that were touching the bottom. This gave the rock extra support, but left very little eggcrate to look ugly or catch detris. My sand is only about 1" deep... if it were deeper I would add short PVC pipe legs to the bottom of the eggcrate pieces to raise the rock up a bit so it wasn't buried in the sand quite so much. Works for me... I don't know if it benefits the tank much or not, but I havn't had any problems so far.

cathyg_99
06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
i used it on the very bottom, added my sand then rock, its just piece of mind that i dont have rock sitting right ontop of glass, the only time ive ever seen my egg crate is when my yellow had a freak out and knocked over a rock, other than that theres a good 2-3 inch sandbed, i still see pods(or other crawlers in the sand) and a happy sandsifting starfish, snails, and a small horse shoe crab

so i really think its personal preference

mike31154
06-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I cut sections of black, large diameter ABS pipe to support several large pieces of my rock. Drilled holes into the sides of the pipe as well to allow for some movement of sand & prevent stagnant areas inside. Will probably do the same for my next build, but this time I'll plan a little better and silicone the pieces of ABS to the bottom. Gets the rockwork higher & mostly out of the substrate so you get max benefit from your LR. Certain types of ABS tend to float & since my system was purchased second hand, I was aquascaping with water & critters in the tank, positioning the ABS pieces was a chore with them wanting to float away on me. What I found good about the ABS is that different lengths can be cut to raise certain rock features a little higher. You can also serrate the rim (cut the edge of the pipe) to make notches for the rock to fit into. Can be a bit fiddly I guess, but if you're in the planning stages with a dry tank, should be easy.

My Maroon clown tends to rearrange the sand around her territory and she's exposed a section of the pipe, but it's partially covered with coralline now, so not too much of an eyesore. Here's a quick pic of a section of ABS halved. All the pieces I have at the moment are full circles with holes cut in, but for next build I might try this & silicone them down once I have the rock work the way I want it. Need to clean up the cuts of course.

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pTnw2f63nToGgA0tEdF0-ak8jz-AJupiK3hqgDQTIJgaxBUj8Bb_rdiJpy5h6iTauDpqsTO3dgCBd V1HsKqiTlg/P1010733.jpg?psid=1

Steve'o
06-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone.. bit of both ways on the eggcrate..
i like the idea of the abs pipe cut into small sections under the rock for support..
I might just try that
Steve'o