PDA

View Full Version : Lime Scale Buildup in Pump ?

DiverDude
06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Anyone else having issues with lime scale buildup in their pumps ?

The MaxiJet 1200 in my HOB skimmer seized again last night (this is with a new impeller) for the second time in 2 months.

Scrape or dissolve the buildup and she runs great for another month. This is a new issue. Water chemistry numbers are mostly where they should be (a little low on Mg (~1100) and pH is at 8.1. Water is all RO/DI and I'm using Reef Crystals (1.026).

StirCrazy
06-01-2011, 10:32 PM
where is the pump? are you dosing and are you dosing close to the pump, and how are you dosing.

if you are dosing once a day in the sump and you pump is in the sump you are going to create a enviorment where persipatation of the ca is possible and the pump is a great place for it to happen, this can be compounded by a low Mg.

Steve

DiverDude
06-01-2011, 11:59 PM
pump is on HOB skimmer in HOB sump. All dosing is done in a bowl of water and added directly to the display.

whatcaneyedo
06-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Raise your magnesium like Stircrazy recommends.

"The extent to which magnesium gets onto calcium carbonate surfaces depends strongly on the amount of magnesium in solution. The more there is, the more it gets onto the surfaces. If magnesium is lower than normal, then it may not adequately get onto growing calcium carbonate surfaces, allowing the deposition of calcium carbonate to proceed faster than it otherwise would, potentially leading to increased abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate from seawater onto objects such as heaters and pumps. Often the inability to maintain adequate calcium and alkalinity despite extensive supplementation, and the precipitation of significant amounts of calcium carbonate on heaters and pumps, are signs that the water has inadequate magnesium."

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

DiverDude
06-03-2011, 04:17 PM
ok so I finally had time this morning to do a full load of water tests:

pH: 8.1
NO3: 0
NO4: 0
Ca: 450
Mg: 1050
Alk: 2 meq/l

So, as always, my Mg is low as is Alk. Notice how Ca is a little high.

Ok, so here is the odd bit: I've been supplementing Mg like crazy and Alk as well but no Ca. So I can't get Alk and Mg high enough but Ca is high even with no supplementation.

Tank has good SPS growth but I have a bad HA problem that is ongoing....

Doesn't seem to add up as I *should* be having trouble maintaining Ca, but I don't.

Coleus
06-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I think you should dose MG to bring it up to 1350 and then try to adjust alk and calc? Do you have mangroves in your tank?

Also try different test kit to make sure

globaldesigns
06-03-2011, 07:10 PM
I think you should dose MG to bring it up to 1350 and then try to adjust alk and calc? Do you have mangroves in your tank?

Also try different test kit to make sure

I agree with Coleus, Magnesium is really low, but so is your ALK (way too low). But as Coleus said, take care of your Mg first, then slowly adjust ALK over the next week or so.

Try to lower your calcium to 400-420 max, this should also help with your PH, which is fine, but should be closer (if not) 8.3

DiverDude
06-06-2011, 08:21 PM

I'm dosing Mg daily and don't seem to be catching up. No Mangroves.

Coleus
06-06-2011, 08:30 PM
it does take a lots of Mg to bring your level to 1350. Use the reef calculator like this
http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html and see how much you need to dose to bring it to the desire level.

KevinK
06-06-2011, 11:29 PM
it does take a lots of Mg to bring your level to 1350. Use the reef calculator like this
http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html and see how much you need to dose to bring it to the desire level.

talking about a lot,

I gust broth mine up from 1200 to 1400 and used 24 cups in total (epson and dead sea)

so use the calculator as mentioned

sometimes buying bulk is better, as well as instant ocean is very low in mag, I always have to ad ad about 400 GRams of mag at eachwater change, gust to bring up the new salt mix