PDA

View Full Version : moon lighting

dyereefer
01-19-2004, 06:09 AM
Any one tried that moon lighting from J L 40$ if you have let me know what you think of it.

EmilyB
01-19-2004, 07:20 AM
I have the moon light, however it is in my fish room. There are no windows to allow for natural moon light to enter the room. There was spawning in the room after installing it. (Barry and I just thought it was so great.... :lol: )

sumpfinfishe
01-19-2004, 08:16 AM
I'm sure you guy's did Deb :eek:
Now if you can only get the fish to spawn in there too :mrgreen: :razz:

I have been thinking about a moon light myself, but I think I'm gonna try making one first, and then if that fails then I guess I will have to fork out the $40 bucks for a simple LED and bracket :rolleyes:

In my early days of reefing I used a tiny Maglite flashlight to do the same thing, and yes I did get spawning/mating by my first pair of skunk clowns, and also with the cleaner shrimp, I lost the rechargable battery though so that was the end of that.

Shy_Koi
01-19-2004, 01:27 PM
I saw LED mini Christmas lights in Walmart, for the first time last year, and picked up a string of blue ones in November. Don't yet have a SW tank up & running, but they looked pretty cool on my FW tank...
Not sure if they are the right colour spectrum tho' ?

Package states they consume 2.4 W - 90% less electricity than regular mini lights and are rated for 50,000 hr burn time. (replacement bulbs are 3.5V, 0.02A, 0.07W LED's).
One drawback is that they come in 35 bulb strings and I think 6-8 bulbs would be plenty.

Can these light strings be safely shortened, or would that overdrive the bulbs and cause probs?
~Tamara

dekay
01-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Look in the DIY forum. I remember someone doing something like this with computer LEDs. They're probably the same as what Custom Sealife is selling minus the brackets.

christyf5
01-19-2004, 07:01 PM
I have one of those moonlights as well. I think its great and my DIY skills are sadly lacking. I think Jack told me I had great WIY skills once (wreck it yourself) :rolleyes: :razz:

Christy :)