PDA

View Full Version : SCWD vs Vortech prop.

Rogue951
05-29-2011, 07:47 AM
I have a 40 gallon breeder with a return from an eheim 1260 through a SCWD.
Since all that piping is clear flexible piping and algae is building up inside, I want to rebuild using 1" (or smaller) PVC.

I'm just wondering if I should bother with the SCWD since I have the vortech on random crest mode all the time.
It's an MP10.

Also have a korilia nano opposite side of the tank from the vortech.

thanks.

nlreefguy
05-29-2011, 12:59 PM
IMO, you already have more than enough flow (is there such a thing?) and I think the SCWD is contributing very little to your system, given that your mp10 is on random crest mode. It is also a failure-prone device and sounds like a bit of a headache. I'd just ditch it, but that's just me. A sea-swirl is a great alternative, if you feel you must have something on the output of the 1262. Also, as I see you are already in the process of thinking about it, change your piping to something opaque so you don't have to worry about algae.

Some would argue that you don't need that koralia too. A 1262 is probably putting out 600-700 gph with head loss by the time it reaches your tank, put that together with the output from the mp10 (1575 gph max) and you have a max flow of around 2200'ish in a 40 gallon. That's good flow.

mike31154
05-29-2011, 02:19 PM
By removing the SWCD you may even improve flow. No personal experience, but I thought I read that the SWCD actually throttles the flow somewhat due to the mechanics driving the rotating action. Don't have a sump currently, but I use the output from a canister filter through a tapered nozzle to provide supplemental flow at the back center of my tank. It seems to be just right to further randomize the flow from my MP40s at opposite ends of the tank. As the flow from the two VorTechs meet in the middle, the canister flow gets a bit of a circular motion going back to front. Seems just right to keep my BTAs & Maroons residing in that area content.

Rogue951
05-29-2011, 02:25 PM
sound good. ive always liked the scwd for its alternating flow but without it the pvc work would be much easier. dont need the extra hard to flex union. i only run the mp10 at 75% anyway so maybe now i'll dial it up all the way.

the 1260 is powering a reactor as well so it doesn't all go upstairs.
Thanks for the advice.