PDA

View Full Version : Reef base jumping

mark
05-29-2011, 01:03 AM
was looking at the link imcosmokramer put up on the Basslet and noticed the Reef base jumping video (http://reeftools.com/news/amazing-reef-base-jumping-video/#). Amazing doesn't really say enough.

P_mantis
05-29-2011, 01:47 AM
EPIC..........

whatcaneyedo
05-29-2011, 02:07 AM
"We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

edit... that quote is going in my signature.

RuGlu6
05-29-2011, 03:58 AM
Where does he getting the air from ? the vid is like 3 minutes...

bvlester
05-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Free divers can hold their breath for as long as 5 minutes and I have heard of longer than that. Free diving blue fin tuna fishers use a spear gun and no tanks just shoot and hold on I was watching a program a few years ago about it they said one guy stayed under water for 7mins and 23 seconds he wouldn't let go of the spear gun till the tuna stopped swimming. I know of guys that would high dive off rocks in to a lake that had caves down about 20 feet they would dive and swim through the caves there were 2 exits 1 you had to swim about 20 feet and the second exit was another 40 feet. try that with out fins on. I think the lake was Hillock Lake. The Canadian underwater council help super dive 1986 there I was there. water skied to the cliffs from the campsite it took about a half hour to get there. I don't even know if they still hold these dive competitions any longer. They were a lot of fun party half the night so you could go diving the next after noon.

Bill

bkelly
05-29-2011, 06:18 AM
man thats unreal i thought hed grab a scuba tank at the bottom

lastlight
05-29-2011, 06:44 AM
man thats unreal i thought hed grab a scuba tank at the bottom

Well it is of course edited footage =) Not to say those dive folks couldn't pull it off...

MarkoD
05-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Well it is of course edited footage =) Not to say those dive folks couldn't pull it off...

and its in slow motion so it probably took less than 3 min. plus they obviously did it multiple times since there are different camera angles(that done appear in each others shot)

mark
05-29-2011, 04:40 PM
of course it's edited, but editing aside, have to admit it's a good clip

asylumdown
05-30-2011, 11:03 PM
I watched a thing on that video, the guy is like the world champion free diver or something and it was filmed by his girlfriend, who was also a world champion free diver. I think they said that video was 5 or 6 different dives edited together, so they might have had an air supply hidden somewhere.

ScubaSteve
05-30-2011, 11:42 PM
I actually had the chance to meet Nery shortly after this vid was made. He said that it was definitely not a single dive to made the vid. He never meant for it to be a "look what I can do on a sinle breath" but more of an aesthetic video that explained how he felt about freediving, that to him it was like basejumping, only underwater. So they decided to film it a la basejumping style. He said it was impossible to reach the bottom of the hole as it's like 200+m deep (last time I checked the record was 124m last year). In the video, what looks like the bottom is just a ledge part way down.

It is by far one of my favourite videos!

lastlight
05-31-2011, 12:57 AM
of course it's edited, but editing aside, have to admit it's a good clip

Oh without a doubt that's an amazing clip =) I loved it! But we also get curious afterwards about how such amazing things came to be lol...

Delphinus
05-31-2011, 05:55 AM
Those free drivers are crazy. I can sort of understand the appeal of the perfect silence underwater .. but uh .. yeah. Those guys are crazy!