PDA

View Full Version : Possible move form Ontario to Alberta

deano
01-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Has anyone had to move their tank and livestock across country before. I would hate to have to part with everything because of this. I'm not worried about the tank/stand & live rock, but the corals are what concerns me...I've never transported livestock before. Advice anyone?

martym
01-18-2004, 11:49 PM
How about a large cooler, heat packs battery powered air pump and drive fast.

Jack
01-19-2004, 12:18 AM
Seems to far to me.

BCOrchidGuy
01-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Deano, any reefers that you'd trust to pack and ship them out to you air freight? Any LFS? or anyone you can ship them to for safe keeping until you arrive?

Doug

zulu_principle
01-19-2004, 12:38 AM
I dont see this as a big deal. Bag them up with oxygen, the climate in the car is better than an airplane holding area and they should be fine on reacclimation into the new systems.

If you dont want to pack and have the ability to haul water, use an inverter to hold temp and and air pump to give oxygen.

If your talking about taking more than 48 hours to do the drive, heater and air pump would be the better alternative.

JMHO

Wendell

UnderWorldAquatics
01-19-2004, 02:20 AM
I would get a large rubbermaid container with a lid(fairly sealed) I would place your live rock in the bottom, then build and eggcrate platform above the rock, then build eggcrate cubicles for each coral(easy to make eggcrate cubuclies, cut eggcrate with pliers, zap strap together)cubicles could be a couple levels high if need be, place airstone in bottom level with liverock, also place heater below with liverock, preferably 1 powerhead with liverock, 1 powerhead on coral levels. Large airpumps usually consume 5watts or less, powerheads are minimal, smaller ones use less than 25watts I believe, a 150watt heater should be plenty, a 300watt inverter would handle the load no problem. With a setup like this you will have no problems even if it takes a couple days to get to where your going, always good to bring some ammonia nutralizer. Inverters are handy to have so $100 is well spent if you dont have one already, rubbermaids are cheap and most people already have some lying around, eggcrate and zap straps are cheap...
If I had to move my stuff a long way its how I would do it