PDA

View Full Version : Building a Calcium Reactor

Stretch
01-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Well i've been throwing around the idea of building my own calcuim reactor for a past few weeks. Anyways I think i got the basic concept of my reactor worked out. Well I need too do this ultra cheaply :lol: So the reactor would need to be built out of PVC. Would this work just as well as arcylic? I wanna build it out of PVC because I'll need fewer tools, and PVC is very cheap. Also what kind of flow should the recirculating pump have? i plan on having the reactor height at about 24 inches and using 4 inche PVC.

Also any tips?

mnoll406
01-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey Stretch,
I just got finished building my reactor from the descriptions on reef central. works great. You can use PVC for m ost of it, but I would make at least one side acrylic, that awy you can see what your media level is at without having to open it up. If you have any questions let me know. Having done it once, I would make some changes. Also as far as the one acrylic piece goes, have a shop cut it to size for you, that way you don't need the extra tools.

Mike

IslandReefer
01-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Hey Stretch,
I just got finished building my reactor from the descriptions on reef central. works great. You can use PVC for m ost of it, but I would make at least one side acrylic, that awy you can see what your media level is at without having to open it up. If you have any questions let me know. Having done it once, I would make some changes. Also as far as the one acrylic piece goes, have a shop cut it to size for you, that way you don't need the extra tools.

Mike
Any pics of your efforts??
John

Stretch
01-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Not yet i got some peices but i want hold off the building, till i can find a pump then bulid around that. When i do finish i'll be sure to post pics.

BCOrchidGuy
01-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Jesse, you don't have to do it out of tubular material, someone on here made a great reactor that's squarish/rectangular and they report it worked fantastic. That would probably be a less expensive way to go if you can find scrap acrylic.

Doug

IslandReefer
01-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Jesse, you don't have to do it out of tubular material, someone on here made a great reactor that's squarish/rectangular and they report it worked fantastic. That would probably be a less expensive way to go if you can find scrap acrylic.

Doug
I believe Canadian Man built a square monster, there is a picture here somewhere
John

IslandReefer
01-25-2004, 06:39 PM
repeat oops

IslandReefer
01-25-2004, 06:39 PM
"oops

IslandReefer
01-25-2004, 06:42 PM
oops

Stretch
01-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Yes I seen the photos, as well as tony's reactor (they built them together).

For a reactor like that it would take more time to build and arylic isn't cheap. thats why i'm building it out of PVC, And my tank is only 75g so i don't need a monster like that, i would like to fit it under my stand :razz: