PDA

View Full Version : Adding baffles to an existing sump

Jason McK
01-18-2004, 06:33 PM
After seeing Jacks super silent system (SSS) It really got me to thinking. As it stands right now I really don't think my Red Sea Berlin skimmer is doing any skimming. In order to fit my CA reactor in my stand I have moved my hang on skimmer into the sump. But with evap occurring through out the day the effectiveness of the skimmer is reduced.

My goal is to add two baffles to my sump in order to create a chamber that is not effected by evaporation, Then get a bullet style skimmer.
The problem is, my sump can not be removed from the stand with out removing the tank. That really isn't an option. But it should be hard to get a couple of pieces of acrylic and glue them in place with the sump in the Stand???? or is it.
Also I would have to run my system sump and skimmer less during the process. How long would you think the system could remain healthy with out the added benefit of skimmer, and the aeration of a sump/skimmer?
Any tips or suggestions would be great. Also if anyone know a local retailer that could help with the purchase of Acrylic and adhesive that would be wonderful.

Thanks
Jason

BCOrchidGuy
01-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Modifying your sump shouldn't be to much trouble, if you trial fit stuff and precut it all before you glue your system shouldn't need to be down for more than 24 hours. Once you have that baffle system you can add an auto freshwater top off like the Kent here http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=ro-kpfvalve I doubt your system will suffer from 24 hours with out a skimmer. If it's really a concern do a good sized water change first and don't feed your tank during the 24 hour period. As far as the acrylic goes, just any fibreglass/plastics shop should be able to help out.

Doug

Jason McK
01-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Thanks Doug,
Have quite a bit of planning to do and now I find out I have to go to Toronto for the week for work. Crap.
Oh well get to see Mom and Dad

J

sleeman
01-18-2004, 10:15 PM
I just read this post on Reef Central:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300957
Not a great thing to come home to.

Cheers,

Al

Jack
01-18-2004, 10:32 PM
I can help you out. It will be easy.

Your system will be more than fine without skimming. Do a water change after if you're really paranoid.

Let me know when you get back and we can plan something out.

martym
01-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Thee above link sounds like they were using glass/acrylic combo. I think the hardest thing will be getting your current sump clean enough. Good luck.

Jason McK
01-19-2004, 12:08 AM
Well I was talking to Wendell and in his infinite wisdom, he recommended I take down the old sump and build a new one in place. One that would more appropriately fit my needs.
I think that's what I'll do.

Thanks Jack I will definitely take you up on the help.

J