PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Lonster
05-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey everyone, I've been researching starting a saltwater tank for a few months now and I'm finally ready to start buying hardware and putting things together. I have a few questions I would like to ask that I have no idea about.

I am looking at doing a 90 gallon tank (there is a perfect spot in my kitchen that will fit a 4 footer really nicely). I know this is an expensive hobby and will probably start with a mix of used and new equipment to help keep my startup costs low. I'm ok with spending money for quality stuff, but the more $$$ the longer I'm going to have to save up.

I've been looking around some of the places in town and I am considering going with a used tank that is in good condition if I can. The first question I have is if I get a tank that is not drilled or have overflows, how difficult and how expensive is it to get this done?

Thanks,

Lonster

Dive_dry
05-25-2011, 10:56 PM
you don't have to drill the tank you can use a CPR over flow up to you or something similar

Lonster
05-25-2011, 11:04 PM
There's not enough room behind the tank for anything to go over the back. I would like to use a durso standpipe to drain to the sump.

Lonster

ensquire
05-25-2011, 11:54 PM
You can buy the bits and drill it yourself, Lots of reading material on here that will help.
I have drilled and cut my tank, and if you take your time it is no problem.

mark
05-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Seen diamond hole saw sets at Princess Auto for around $50. Largest size might not be big enough but gives an idea that there not a whole lot of money. I've even drilled a 20 and 33g just using a Demel diamond bit.

You definitely want to drill, but might consider drilling 2 holes for your drain so you can run a Herbie (or 3 holes for a Beananimal drain). You'll find Durso can be quiet, but a Herbie is silent plus the advantage of no bubbling/gurgling in the sump.

Lonster
05-27-2011, 08:52 PM
I read up on the herbie and beananimal drains and the herbie sounds like the one I would want to do. The only issue that I would have is space behind my tank. Where I want to put the tank there would only be about two inches of room between it and the wall. Is this enough room for the return to be viable? Could splitting the return pipe into two smaller pipes possibly work?

Thanks,

Lonster

mark
05-27-2011, 10:39 PM
have an internal overflow, drill the floor of the tank and then you can push the tank against the wall.

Edmonton newbie
05-28-2011, 02:30 AM
really lonster the sky is the limit but i would prob drill the bottom, push it right back to the wall. from there you could drill a couple more holes for returns or run one pipe up tight to each tank side and return over the top into each rear corner. get yourself a sweet stand that matches your kitchen cupboards and make it look like it was always there :razz: