PDA

View Full Version : Room divided by a tank...Need idea's / Pictures /

rjengen
05-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Does anyone have their tank set up as a room divider, or something to that effect, with the tank being framed into the wall, as opposed to having a stand / open top? I'd like to see some pictures if you have em guys. Long story short...I shut down my 75g tank couple of months ago due to an oversea's project, the stars have alligned, and we're building a new house. I'm working month in, month out till the end of summer, so I have time to build this set up right.

Basically, I want our tank in the basement...When you walk down into our basement, there will be a small hallways, with doors leading to the bathroom, storage room, and furnace room. I'm going to have a doorway built leading into the family room. At this doorway, on the left wall, I want the tanks side viewable from the hall...with the tank built into the wall. Once you enter the family room, my desk / pathetic home office will be to the left of the doorway, with the 6" side of the tank fully viewable from me to drift off into space while sitting at the desk.

If someone has an idea, a picture, or something...please could you help me out and share...I'm 90% I can do this, and have it look wicked. I know it for a fact, because Dez did it with his tank in a round about way...and it's by far one of the nicest setup's I've seen. I'm just curious on how people have framed it up.

Rob

Dez
05-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I was going to post pictures but obviously you've seen my set up. Look through my tank journal to see the details. My biggest advice is to make sure that you have access to both sides. I've seen a few set ups where there was no access on the picture frame side and it makes it very difficult to aquascape and place corals. Hope this helps.

rjengen
05-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Gotcha on the access from both sides...My plan was to do something similar to what you did with your picture frame, only thing I'd like to do a little different though, is on the main viewing side, have a strip of 8" granite on the bottom so there is a ledge. I need somewhere safe to set beer down while I view the tank :lol:

Thanks Dez...I'll be picking your brain once summer is done, and we have possession. I have to try and fit the tank building in with the backyard building budget :redface:

FishyFishy!
05-25-2011, 08:06 PM
I think that you will find everything you need here in Kein's thread:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54164&highlight=room+divider

mark
05-25-2011, 10:08 PM
some picture in my signature link