PDA

View Full Version : Nano cube lighting question. PC vs HQI

FaRico
05-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Hey, so what is the best lighting to have for my needs? Right now I have a few rocks infested with shrooms and plan on getting a BTA. What hood fixture would better suit my needs.

Thanks guys.

TheMikey
05-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Anemones require more light than a PC hood will put out. If you want an anemone, you'lll have to get the HQI model.

Also, what size cube are you getting? I think for a BTA you'll need at least the 28 Gallon model (or 24... I can't remember the size).

Snaz
05-25-2011, 06:34 AM
HQI like all HID lamps require a very good ATO especially with a nano. Any budgeting and plans for this type of lighting with a nano must include an ATO solution.

gobytron
05-25-2011, 03:07 PM
I run a 12 gallon aquapod with a 70W HQI sunpod and a 1/10 hp chiller.

My evap is almost non existent.

I run a glass top, but in conjunction with the chiller, never see temps over 78 degrees.

I top up with fresh about 1/2 gallon every 2 weeks.

I have kept EVERYTHING in this tank over the 6 years I've had it running.
I am surprised at just how bulletproof this setup is.

I found heat and evap with the stock hood and lights to be about 5 times worse than how I have things now.

FaRico
05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Currently I have the 28 gal hqi and since it's cycling I'm doing water changes on it twice a week. I haven't noticed very much evaporation at all and the temp is staying very consistent. I guess I won't fix something that isn't broke.

mike31154
05-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Have you considered LEDs? Still a bit costly but for a Nano probably ideal. Plenty of flexibility for spotlighting a particular area for something like a BTA. Low power, low heat, great light output if you get the right combo.... Although, I just reread your last post and since you already have HQI, yeah, might be just as well to stick with it for the time being. LEDs will continue to drop in price and you can do some research on them while your HQI does its thing. Depending on the bulb you currently have, it will be good for at least a year before needing replacement. Regarding PCs, I think they're on the way out, that technology has run it's course as far as most marine systems go. Not the greatest selection, if you're going to go any kind of fluorescent, T5HO offers much more.

FaRico
05-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I was curious about pc because someone has one for sale on Kijiji for $20. I do want LEDs I don't know how to retrofit and the new hood with shipping is over $400. I'll keep my eye out though.

mike31154
05-25-2011, 08:39 PM
There are so many LED options out there at the moment, if you were willing to do a little DIY, you could probably modify your existing fixture. The new $400 hood is a LED hood specifically designed for your system??

Doug
05-25-2011, 10:52 PM
I have the SWC Extreme leds fixture over my 20g sps tank. Very nice fixture so far. To early for results yet though.

Purchased mine from SWC themselves but I remember seeing Oceanic Corals advertisement for them also. Not sure if they are still?

http://96.31.86.198/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68920

FaRico
05-26-2011, 01:55 AM
I was looking at the nano cube brand LED hood/fixture, it's $379 plus taxes and shipping. I would do a DIY but I'm not handy like that. Maybe I'll look around and see if there are any threads on it.