PDA

View Full Version : Reef set up-need help with sump set up

DisneyCoralReef
05-24-2011, 09:38 PM
I wanted to know if any reefers were willing to help me out with a sump set up. I have all the equipment ready, the PVC cement, the primers-Im picking up the PVC later today once I find out what I need, and I have everything else in between, even a great diagram! but I can't figure out a few things.

I was curious as to whether or not anyone here would be willing to offer some assistance in finishing the set up? I have a diagram, I have the parts but I am so uncomfortable at the idea of doing the set up! (I'm a women and its my first tank...).

Appreciate any assistance.

fishytime
05-24-2011, 11:40 PM
what kind of drain set-up are you working with(herbie, stockman, durso)?

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 01:56 PM
You're already asking more than I can answer. I took a video last night, let me load it up and hopefully it will answer your question :redface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZEMYFYHVQY

Steve'o
05-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Good video.. There are a lot of us like that out there.. I am almost in the same boat bought a used system.. and not sure about the sump setup.. for drainage.. so don't feel bad..
Hopefully we can find the answers here on Canreef.
Steve'o
:o)

dave_C
05-25-2011, 02:19 PM
From the video, it looks like you have everything you need already to setup the sump. You will have to move the skimmer to the middle section of the sump as the last chamber looks like where your return pump should go.

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
From the video, it looks like you have everything you need already to setup the sump. You will have to move the skimmer to the middle section of the sump as the last chamber looks like where your return pump should go.
You know, I wondered about that. Thanks for clarifying because I wasn't sure about that either. Which compartment should my pump sit it? along with the skimmer or in the last compartment?

dave_C
05-25-2011, 02:29 PM
i would say the skimmer in the middle chamber if it fits and the pump would go in the far right chamber. The water should flow left to right in this sump design.

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Ok! consider that a done deal. I was able to buy my backdrop in Edmonton last weekend. I also have glass glue to stick it on, but I can't make up my mind as to whether or not we should go with the black or blue background? you can see the tube in the video.

dave_C
05-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Ok! consider that a done deal. I was able to buy my backdrop in Edmonton last weekend. I also have glass glue to stick it on, but I can't make up my mind as to whether or not we should go with the black or blue background? you can see the tube in the video.

i would do the blue but that's just me lol and i won't glue it on, just tape it on so if you change your mind down the road you can remove it and flip it around

sphelps
05-25-2011, 03:02 PM
I would personally paint the back glass black, those backdrops don't usually work that well IME.

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 03:04 PM
i would do the blue but that's just me lol and i won't glue it on, just tape it on so if you change your mind down the road you can remove it and flip it around
That's a good idea. Thanks for bringing it up :biggrin:

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I would personally paint the back glass black, those backdrops don't usually work that well IME.
I had originally been advised to paint it, but because of where we live, painting wouldn't be an option(live in a condo). I don't have a place where I can paint it, and once painted if got around to finding a place, I can't leave it there to dry-not to mention this ridiculous whether hasn't helped.

Steve'o
05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
What kind of paint would you use for glass?
Curious, as I need to do this also.
Steve'o

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 03:11 PM
What kind of paint would you use for glass?
Curious, as I need to do this also.
Steve'o
Steve, if you have the chance to paint, I would definitely paint. It looks much better and it will stay as opposed to dealing with the backdrop not sticking or dealing with salt build up. I was told krylon fusion works well.

sphelps
05-25-2011, 03:17 PM
You can use pretty much any paint you want, while the krylon fusion does work well I've had plenty of success using standard latex interior paint which can be used indoors and simply rolled on.

globaldesigns
05-25-2011, 03:25 PM

+1, I didn't paint and couldn't after it was setup. I used a black drop on the back. It works fine, but I also used a bit of duct tape on the top each of the drop/tank in order that water didn't drip down the back of the tank between the glass and the black bg.

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 03:33 PM
I used a black drop on the back. Is there a reason you went with black over blue?

mike31154
05-25-2011, 04:04 PM
I saw a link some time ago where a chap had built a sort of 3D diorama behind his tank. Can't find it any longer but it was very cool. You need a bit of room behind the tank though. The guy was a bit of an artist and airbrushed a great graphic, added a few fake rocks to make it look 3 dimensional and also had some subdued lighting above the scene he created to highlight the features. It actually looked a little eerie and of course you'll need to keep the back glass spotless. You don't need to be an artist like he was, any good quality poster will do with the theme of your choice. If I can find the link again, I'll check back in and post it.

Ok, this isn't the one I saw, but it gives you the idea & shows how to make one.

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/CB1.htm

fishytime
05-25-2011, 04:20 PM
IMO any backdrop is a bit of a waste of time, unless you plan on keeping the back glass clean...... Your rock work will hide most of it and coraline algea will cover the rest..... I say just tape the background on so you can focus your time on other things :wink:

lastlight
05-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Andy's 1350g in Bucharest (RC > Large Tanks) has a backlit bg that shows through some gaps in his rock bg. Pretty cool idea!

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Ok good to know. Ill just take it then.

newreefer_59
05-27-2011, 07:55 PM
if you go that route, but sooner the better as my carpenters are still there making a mess of it anyways. Let me know.

globaldesigns
05-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Is there a reason you went with black over blue?

I just like the black... I find with alot tanks with blue, it washes out the natural colors of the rock, coral and fish... Black I feel helps to make those colors POP. Just the way I see it.

globaldesigns
05-27-2011, 08:15 PM
IMO any backdrop is a bit of a waste of time, unless you plan on keeping the back glass clean...... Your rock work will hide most of it and coraline algea will cover the rest..... I say just tape the background on so you can focus your time on other things :wink:

Doug brings up a valid point, if using a backdrop (black or blue), make sure to use something like Duct tape to use on the top edge of the tank with the backdrop. This way any water splashed will splash down the back of the backdrop, not between the backdrop and glass.

Believe me I know, and had to do this, as I can't clean the back of my glass.