PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Flow - opinions please!

doch
05-24-2011, 05:36 PM
OK... I have FINALLY got the go ahead for the upgrade!! YIPPPEEEE!!!!

Unfortunately, we don't have as much room as I had hoped, so the tank will be smaller than originally planned, but at'll do, donkey!

I'm shooting for a 48x24x24 (120gal). What I'm thinking for flow is 2 tunze 6105's run off of my RKE, and the APC mod (designed for advanced wavemaker control of Tunzes), with a return pump of a yet to be determined size, an oceans motion, and a Tunze Wavebox. What I'm thinking, is the wavebox in the back left facing straight right, a 6105 on top of that facing towards the front/right, and another 6105 on the back right facing towards the front/left.

Anybody have any suggestions, tips or complaints about this idea? Will this be enough flow? Will the wavebox, and the 6105's conflict in any way due to the 6105's being run off of the RKE?

Thanks in advance!!

sphelps
05-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Sounds like plenty of flow. Personally I would skip the wave box and the OM and just rely on the two 6105s and a decent return pump on a tank that size but that's just me. The 6105's will alter the effects of wave box slightly but I've seen plenty tanks use that combination successfully. If you do go with the wave box then I would suggest eliminating the OM as I don't think it will offer any advantage and only complicate you're plumbing.

Bblinks
05-24-2011, 06:38 PM
On a 120g, 2 6105 will be more than enough flow, I hope you are going with a bare bottom or else its gonna be a sand storm in your tank. I use 3 6105 and tunze wave box on my 210g tank and they work awesome. I have no problems with running the power heads with my wave box.

doch
05-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Since my post, I've actually decided against the OM, but I do still like the idea of the wavebox. I know the tank isn't that big, but with the APC on the RKE, I can tune down the flow of the 6105's, and still use the wavebox. That said, since reading what you guys have to say, I wonder if the wavebox is a waste of money...?

Bblinks
05-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Since my post, I've actually decided against the OM, but I do still like the idea of the wavebox. I know the tank isn't that big, but with the APC on the RKE, I can tune down the flow of the 6105's, and still use the wavebox. That said, since reading what you guys have to say, I wonder if the wavebox is a waste of money...?

I love my wavebox, but I would wait and buy one used. I have seem them on here for around 250. I paid 700 for mine brand new :sad:.

reefermadness
05-24-2011, 07:57 PM
The wavebox is awesome...you probably dont need though. I have 2 x 6100 and 1 wavebox on my 200g SPS. The 6100's arent even turned up all the way.

Perhaps you can get the nano wavebox..not sure how big this is good for? Its just that the large one will take up a lot of space in your 120g.

Maybe 2x6105 plus wavysea for your return......or just the 6105's would be enough.

Slick Fork
05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
The wavebox provides a much different type of water movement than you're used to with powerheads. I had one in my large tank and ever since downsizing I miss the wavebox tremendously.

I had a nano wavebox in a 48x24x20 tank and it produced about a 1.5-2" wave. Be careful how the tank is laid out, some tanks are really unfriendly towards waveboxes... particularly if it's got two corner overflows. The ideal tank for a wavebox is one with an external center overflow.

doch
05-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Reefermadness - Oddly enough, when I said Oceans Motion, I actually meant wavy sea/mocean... I'm not even sure if they make them any more though.... might not even be an option unless I could find used. Also, I was thinking about an external wavebox... take up less space!

Slick Fork - Good to know about the waveboxes and the overflows... I didn't even think of that as a problem. I was thinking about a center overflow, but I will now be going external for sure.

doch
05-24-2011, 10:11 PM
OK... slight possible change in plans. What about 2,3 or even 4 nanostream 6055's... with a nano wavebox? The 6055's are rated up to 130 gallon tanks.

The only thing that I don't like about this idea is that if I decided to go bigger later, these would likely not work out.

lastlight
05-24-2011, 10:11 PM
I sorta wish I hadn't added a nano wavebox to my 97 because now I know I'm going to want wave action in my larger setup. Not sue how that'll work with an overflow off the end of the tank but that's not my point. Point is the wavebox does indeed give you something special that powerheads cannot. It's like a gentle washdown of every last square inch of the tank. I love it!

fishytime
05-24-2011, 11:21 PM
sortta depends on the direction that you wanna go with the tank..... softies,LPS, SPS?.....you want to shoot for 20-40 times turnover for softies and LPS and you just wanna keep the sand in the tank with SPS:wink:....

tinman
05-24-2011, 11:45 PM
OK... slight possible change in plans. What about 2,3 or even 4 nanostream 6055's... with a nano wavebox? The 6055's are rated up to 130 gallon tanks.

The only thing that I don't like about this idea is that if I decided to go bigger later, these would likely not work out.
I run 3 6055's at roughly 55% in my 100 gal with the 7096 Controller and i've got plenty of action if you're not familiar with the controller it's got some real cool options, I also tried the 6105's but it was really too much even on min flow

doch
05-25-2011, 12:05 AM
sortta depends on the direction that you wanna go with the tank..... softies,LPS, SPS?.....you want to shoot for 20-40 times turnover for softies and LPS and you just wanna keep the sand in the tank with SPS:wink:....

Yeah, sorry... I should have mentioned... SPS. A little lps, and a few Zoas, but SPS.

doch
05-25-2011, 12:07 AM
I run 3 6055's at roughly 55% in my 100 gal with the 7096 Controller and i've got plenty of action if you're not familiar with the controller it's got some real cool options, I also tried the 6105's but it was really too much even on min flow

Thanks!! I really appreciate that info! I'm half way leaning towards the 6055's and a wavebox.

viperfish
05-25-2011, 04:41 AM
I'm running 1 6105, 1 6055, and one MP40 in my 150 SPS tank. All of them are at full power. I have Tunze's on the back and the MP40 on one side. Just to shake things up I turn my MP40 on Nutrient Transfer mode and it keeps a pretty good wave going. I eventually plan to have 2 6105's and 2 6055's with the USB controller, then I can get the MP40 out of there. I like the MP40 but tons more flexibility with the Tunze PH's.