PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Crab behavior

Sumfingwong
05-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Not sure where to post this, since its in my fowlr I will put it in this sub forum.

I bought 2 more electric blue hermits for my tank.

As soon as one of the older hermit saw one of them, he made a b-line for one of them and started to attack? it?

Heres a photo I took. They were at it for 3 hours, and I separated them to opposite sides of the tank. A couple hours later, the older hermit made his way to the other hermit again!

I went to my parents house to grab some empty shells from a FW setup I have over there full of shell dweller cichlids.

When I got home, I separated them again and placed the one thats attacking/lovin with the empty shells, he/she checked them out and took off.

Anybody know if this guy is trying to steal the shell? or are they mating?

thanks!

lpsreefer
05-25-2011, 03:05 AM
mine do that all the time. i got 30-20 hermits. i dont know why they fight like that but its normal. if the smaller of the two win he gets the bigger shell. but if u have a lot of empty shells they should be okay.

MKLKT
05-25-2011, 04:27 AM
Blue Knuckles get decently sized and will mangle other hermits sometimes. I personally had one that was well behaved for 6 months+ and then slayed my Staghorn hermit and died the next day (poisonous maybe? karma?) but I know someone else with one that kills any other hermits on sight.