PDA

View Full Version : Yashia Goby hiding :(

dynamite
05-24-2011, 04:02 AM
I bought a Yashia Goby on Friday and since that day he's hiding :sad: I know where he hides so I can target feed him, he's eating but he won't come out :twised: Do you guys have any experience with Yashia Gobies? How long is he going to hide :neutral:

90G tank

Livestock:

1 Yellow Tang
1 False perc
1 Black clown
1 Cherub Angel

They're not aggressive, they don't bother any new fish and they didn't attack my goby.

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

toytech
05-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Hes a small fish surrounded by big fish it will take him a while to get used to that.My wheelers shrimp goby never comes out and i dont have any big fish , im sure one day he will get over it i just have to wait.

dynamite
05-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the answer Toytech, I hope so too =/ My fish are quiet small, my Yellow Tang is 2 inches, my clowns are also 2 inches and my Cherub Angel 1inch and a half. I hope he gets used to them fast, he's such a nice fish and I hate watching him hide :sad:

George
05-24-2011, 11:17 PM
It's normal that your yasha is hiding because that's its nature instinct. Yasha goby is a shrimp goby which means that they prefer to have a burrow and won't leave far from their burrow. You may consider getting a pistol to go with that yasha. That will make it more comfortable and hopefully get out from its burrow more.

carnut
05-24-2011, 11:56 PM
We have one in a biocube with 2 clown gobies and a pistol shrimp. We don't see him for weeks think he's dead then surprise hangs out front for a day or two then gone again.

toytech
05-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Have faith in the last couple of days my very timid yellow watchman has been coming out way more , swimming all over the tank. I also vote for getting a pistol shrimp because thats just plain cool.

Samw
05-25-2011, 02:36 AM
I have the cousin goby, Stonogobiops nematodes, with a pistol shrimp. It hid in the tunnel for about a month but now comes out whenever I feed small NLS pellets to the tank. When not feeding, it stays hidden in the tunnel until main lights are out and sometimes comes out in ambient light.

gobytron
05-25-2011, 02:17 PM
you bought a fish that is supposed to hide.
With a little research into specimens before you take them home, you can avoid this kind of surprise in the future.

kevNnic
05-25-2011, 07:03 PM
I have always wanted to get a pistol shrimp but i am told my flame hawk fish will destroy him in seconds. Is this true?

George
05-25-2011, 09:00 PM
I have always wanted to get a pistol shrimp but i am told my flame hawk fish will destroy him in seconds. Is this true?

Do you have a shrimp goby? If not, your pistol shrimp will be the flame hawk's meal, sooner or later.
If you have a shrimp goby, make sure the shrimp and the goby pair up before the flame hawk sees the shrimp. That means transferring the flame hawk to another tank for the bonding period. After that, you can put the flame hawk back. The goby will alert the shrimp of any dangerous.

Inedaan
05-25-2011, 09:26 PM
I have a two different watchman gobies and both are completely different... My Orange Spotted Watchman goby is a complete wuss, he runs and hides at the slightest inclination of absolutely any movement. Where my Yellow Watchman Goby is fearless, he will ATTACK anything that gets near the burrow, whether it be my hand, a fish net, other fish... I also have a very brave Pistol Shrimp too though, he is out and about during the day nearly daily.

kevNnic
05-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Do you have a shrimp goby? If not, your pistol shrimp will be the flame hawk's meal, sooner or later.
If you have a shrimp goby, make sure the shrimp and the goby pair up before the flame hawk sees the shrimp. That means transferring the flame hawk to another tank for the bonding period. After that, you can put the flame hawk back. The goby will alert the shrimp of any dangerous.

thats pretty cool, i might have to do some more reading on this. I love my flame hawk, great fish, but i would have for him to make a meal out of my shrimp. i do not have a shrimp goby either, looks like i have some searching to do.

thanks for the quick reply

dynamite
05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I always read before buying any kind of fish, I knew he was supposed to hide but not all day long :neutral: I just called my LFS and I'm picking a Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp... But I'm reading horrible stories :sad: How loud do they get? Because the tank is in my room.. And would he prey on snails and cleaning shrimps? I still have time to ditch the Pistol Shrimp... I have to pass by the store tomorrow afternoon.

you bought a fish that is supposed to hide.
With a little research into specimens before you take them home, you can avoid this kind of surprise in the future.

gobytron
05-26-2011, 08:05 PM
If you had read into this species, it hiding all day wouldnt come as a shock.:wink:

Those that are forced to live in the open due to poor habitat tend to live short, stressed lives.

What horror stories have you heard about pistols?

Its only the very rare species that seem to be predatory, none of the pistols I have had pair with gobies have ever taken an active interest in snails or inverts.

They are about as loud as someone snapping their fingers...though size does affect the volume..moreso of the appendage itself than the shrimp.

dynamite
05-26-2011, 08:48 PM
If you had read into this species, it hiding all day wouldnt come as a shock.:wink:

Those that are forced to live in the open due to poor habitat tend to live short, stressed lives.

Ok lol :mrgreen: I guess next time I'll read more..

What horror stories have you heard about pistols?

Well I've been searching for at least an hour and saw people claiming that they had shrimps and small fish disappeared since adding them, people saying you can hear them from other rooms or waking up at night because of the clickings.. :sad:

Its only the very rare species that seem to be predatory, none of the pistols I have had pair with gobies have ever taken an active interest in snails or inverts.

They are about as loud as someone snapping their fingers...though size does affect the volume..moreso of the appendage itself than the shrimp.

Ok.. But I'm in college, I don't want to wake up at 4am because of a clicking so I don't know... :neutral:
Thanks for the help tho!

gobytron
05-26-2011, 08:55 PM
If you're anything but a very light sleeper, you wont be bothered by the pistol.
and they dont snap all the time, only every once in a while.

I've kept a lot of pistols and when I initially bought my liverock years ago, it came with a colony of 15 or 20 small pistols that were rock dwellers and not the typical ones seen in the hobby.

They were predatory, and while my tank was first getting established, I saw them snap at fish that were nearby.

The fish would show some marks that looked like burns and I lost a couple small fish during that time that could have been victims of pistols but thats a guess rather than fact.

I dont think you'll be dissapointed/bothered if you get one for your yasha.

You'll likely see it less than the yasha though.

Samw
05-27-2011, 12:38 AM
I have a candy cane pistol shrimp paired with my shrimp goby. I've had the shrimp over a year and paired it up with a goby 1 month ago. It snaps only once in a while. With the tank in my room, I barely notice the snapping sounds. I have had no trouble keeping it with snails, fish, fireshrimp, peppermint shrimp.

dynamite
05-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Perfect! Thanks everyone! I guess I'll get the Pistol shrimp and hope for the best! :mrgreen:

dynamite
05-27-2011, 06:08 AM
So after some intense reading and seeing my Yasha Goby with half his body out of his burrow I decided not to get the Pistol Shrimp. I guess he will come out more when he gets used to the tank and his roommates :mrgreen: he's also eating like a pig and well... No pistol shrimp for me. Thanks everyone for the help!

dynamite
05-28-2011, 04:43 AM
So I decided to try the Pistol Shrimp, I got a Cany Cane, he's tiny thoo :mrgreen: Let's see what happens... I'm curious to hear the clicking.. LOOOL.. He went hiding right away! I hope he finds my Yasha Goby :lol:

Wish me luck :mrgreen: