PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Eliminate HUGE Hair Algae Problem And Coral Issues?

rastaangel
05-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Long story short I switched over from using GFO and DeNitrate to control nutrients to Prodbio in hopes of a better reef tank...
To be blunt the prodbio isnt doing anything as I have been told it takes something like 6 months to work. So its been almost 2.5 months and have seen no positive affects so I have since added another carbon source in hopes that it will help.
BUT since I switched over I have a MASSIVELY HUGE hair algea issue and most of my corals are either losing color, have no PE, or are flat out dieing.
Anyone got any suggestions? If I keep losing all my nice ORAs ill snap!!!

whatcaneyedo
05-23-2011, 11:33 PM
What are your water chemistry parameters?

rastaangel
05-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Phos-0
Nitrate-0
Both 0 cuz the algae is using all the phosphate and nitrate in the water
Silicate-0
Calcium-420
Magnesium-1300
Potassium-400
Alkalinity-9

whatcaneyedo
05-24-2011, 12:05 AM
I'd revert back to using GFO to starve the hair algae of phosphate. Boosting magnesium up to 1500 specifically with Kent Tech M has worked for a lot of us to get rid of bryopsis if that is the type of hair algae that you have. For some people, using conventional magnesium salts works too. For me, it was Kent Tech M. That and good old fashion water changes... I've played around with Prodibio a little bit but its just too expensive and I don't believe it does anything to reduce phosphate.

naesco
05-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Long story short I switched over from using GFO and DeNitrate to control nutrients to Prodbio in hopes of a better reef tank...
To be blunt the prodbio isnt doing anything as I have been told it takes something like 6 months to work. So its been almost 2.5 months and have seen no positive affects so I have since added another carbon source in hopes that it will help.
BUT since I switched over I have a MASSIVELY HUGE hair algea issue and most of my corals are either losing color, have no PE, or are flat out dieing.
Anyone got any suggestions? If I keep losing all my nice ORAs ill snap!!!

The best hair algae problem solver is a sea hare.
You will be surprised to see how quickly it devours the algae.
You need to be careful of two things.
When almost all the algae is gone you have to feed it nori or wardley's spirulina discs or it will starve to death or give it to another reefer who has the same problem.
Secondly, you have to carefully acclimate the sea hare for at lease and hour slowly dripping your tank water into the bag it came in.

rastaangel
05-24-2011, 12:16 AM
I went into bay side on sat to get a sea hare but the one they had was spoken for... So I picked up some turbos and abalone
I have always done 10% weekly water changes on my tank

naesco
05-24-2011, 12:47 AM
I went into bay side on sat to get a sea hare but the one they had was spoken for... So I picked up some turbos and abalone
I have always done 10% weekly water changes on my tank

Simply ask them to order one in for you. If you have a serious hair algae issue you will need a sea hare.

ALang
05-24-2011, 03:12 AM
OR, to see if anyone in your area will LOAN you one.
That way, you can pass it on when you run out of HA.

rastaangel
05-24-2011, 03:23 AM
I dunno anyone in my area that does saltwater to mooch one off of. I would have to get one at bayside or the reef shoppe

shrimpchips
05-24-2011, 03:30 AM
What's the size of your tank, fish (and size), skimmer, lighting (how old are the bulbs, photoperiod), flow in side tank, feeding schedule (and what you feed)? These will be important determinants of algae problems too. Also, how long has your system been set up?

What brand of salt are you using?

Are you using RO/DI water?

Also, if anything, switch to larger weekly water changes.

rastaangel
05-24-2011, 03:37 AM
90g-40g sump, 1 pair of adult clowns, 3 fire fish, 1 clown goby, Aqua C remora Pro Skimmer with mag 3, 2x250w MH w/ 4 PC actinics, actinis on from 7-8 and MH from 8-7, I feed a mix of bloodworms, mysis, brine shrimp, and cyclopeze. 1/4 ounce a day spot fed. been running for almost a year, instant ocean up until now and switching to zeovit salt, using a BRS 6 stage RO/DI.

MMAX
05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Have any pictures of your algae problems? I used to have the same issue up until late last year. Problem solved by reducing my photoperiod (lights on for 8 hrs total), switching salt from Instant Ocean to H2Ocean and without fail 20 gal water changes every 2 weeks. I started using Prodibio , just gave my second dose last Saturday and have switched to 10 gal water changes/2 weeks. The sea hare will clean up your problem quickly but it's more of a band-aid solution.

wickedfrags
05-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Generally speaking, I would consider the following approach in order of importance:

1. Take out your live rock and physically remove the hair algae, use a toothbrush and rinse.
2. Up your water changes to 25-50% for a couple weeks minimum.
3. Review the performance of your RO/DI unit.
4. Feed your tank 50% less food.
5. Consider upgrading your skimmer.

RuGlu6
05-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Looks like you need a skimmer with a lot more air mixing then Ramora to get skimming to the proper lewel as well as ORP.
You feed a lot more then i would consider safe for size of your tank.
So like was said before, better skimmer and small but frequent water changes

fishytime
05-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Do you rinse/strain your frozen foods? If not do so, that dirty water is like fuel for algea.

rastaangel
05-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I cant remove my rocks as there epoxyed together to prevent another broke bottom.
My RO/DI system is all new.
I feed my fish with a dropper so nothing is wasted, any left overs are feed to my LPS. I rinse the food very well before its feed.
I reduced my light periods by 2 hrs yesterday.
I am starting to think that my skimmer isnt doing a good enough job any more, but I dont really have the cash flow to buy a new one

asylumdown
05-27-2011, 05:25 AM
hair algae aside, it looks like you have one gorgeous tank.

nlreefguy
05-27-2011, 09:48 AM
hair algae aside, it looks like you have one gorgeous tank.

yeah, that's true. That hair algae problem is not so bad - god knows I've seen a lot worse on here and elsewhere. I bet you'll have that solved in no time. Your parameters are good so once you get some herbivores in there, you should be fine.

rastaangel
05-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks
I am still workin on it. Gonna get a sea hare and a new skimmer soon so that should help