PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a leather to a rock

moppy
05-22-2011, 08:07 PM
IS this as easy as putting an elastic around it or is there a better way?

My yellow fiji leather detached from his rock and I want to put him back onto one.

lastlight
05-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Not sure it applies but to attach my corky finger and make it also look good what i did was add glue to the base and glue/epoxy small pieces of rubble around the base of the corky. Might work for you and then you can attach the new rock base to your 'scape?

whatcaneyedo
05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Tying them down with fishing line works as well. If an elastic is too tight it will slowly cut its way through. However if the fishing line isn't tight enough the leather will slip out. So some experimenting might be needed.

marie
05-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Needle and thread, leathers don't mind if you sew them to a rock :mrgreen:

Wayne
05-22-2011, 09:53 PM
I usually use elastics very lightly holding them to rock, I have heard of tooth pick being used but that needle and thread idea sounds much better :biggrin:

viperfish
05-22-2011, 10:59 PM
I like to put a plastic toothpick through the base, wrap a rubber band around the rock, and hook the rubber band around the toothpick. I find it easier than wrapping something around the whole frag.

Snappy
05-23-2011, 12:07 AM
In my experience yellow Fiji leathers are trickier than regular leathers like toadstools as they tend to have a mushier texture and tend to tear easily so what I find works best is to use a piece of pvc pipe or something and place rubble inside and set the frag inside on top of the rubble and put into a low flow area. Within a few weeks the piece will attach itself and you're all set.

Wayne
05-23-2011, 02:30 AM
I think someone might have done this last trick to one of my frags :) It attached itself to the inside of the pcv pipe ;)