PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Life "Bio Plankton"

pocilipora
01-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=fd-llbp06

UnderWorldAquatics
01-17-2004, 11:51 PM
I like it, I think it works great, dont need too much, corals seem to love it, same with clams

pocilipora
01-17-2004, 11:59 PM
I see it has the same type of algae in it as "Algae Paste/Tahetian Blend". Is it better or is there a higher cell count in the BioPlankton? Because the Algae paste is cheeper and you get a bigger bottle. :rolleyes: Just wondering what the difference between the two is...

robbyville
01-18-2004, 12:05 AM
I'm not really sure. J&L sent some up to me last week when I found out that they were no longer carrying DT's Phyto.

I have just started to use it, but it certainly seems pretty concentrated!

Rob

UnderWorldAquatics
01-18-2004, 12:06 AM
Key Benefits
Highest cell count per milliliter of any retail plankton feed
3 algae species ranging from 2-16 microns to feed a larger range of consumers
12 month freezer storage life
BioPlankton contains three different strains of marine algae. A one cell size fits all approach only allows you to feed a limited number of planktonic consumers. The table below describes the variety of size particles contained within the three strains of algae. Mariculture professionals use multiple algae in order to maximize the growth and reproductivity of target organisms. BioPlankton's formulation insures that you can provide the necessary planktonic nutrition to a range of direct and indirect consumers.

Algae Type Content Concentration
per ml Cell size Benefit
Nannochloropsis/Green Algae 33.3% 76 billion cells 2-4 microns Riboflavin (vit.B2),
Tocopherol
Tetraselmis/Green Flagellete 33.3% .85 billion cells 8-16 microns Ascorbic acid (vit C),
Thiamine (vit B1)
Isochrysis/Golden Algae 33.3% 8.6 billion cells 5-6 microns Excellent PUFA

Feed Density

Mariculturists describe the amount of food present in two terms, Feed Density and Contact Time. To evoke a feeding response algae must be present in sufficient quantities to alert the target organism to begin food capture activity. When algae is present in sufficient numbers, organisms come into greater contact with food and the chances of capturing and digesting a passing cell increase. If the energy expenditure of capturing a passing cell is greater than the amount of nutrition taken in from feeding, the organism is in a deficit situation. In order for a feed to be of benefit to the marine food web, it must be present in sufficient numbers to insure that the energy spent on food capture is replaced by a nutritional adequate feed.

However, there is an inverse relationship to overfeeding. BioPlankton is a powerfully concentrated algae feed. Currently, our feed has the highest cell concentration available among retail algae feeds. As with any food, overfeeding can cause excessive nutrient buildup and fouling. Because BioPlankton is a professional grade feed, we advise that aquarists start slowly and increase the amount of feed available through a period of weeks. As your aquarium becomes accustomed to planktonic food, you will increase your population density and diversity of filter feeders, zooplankton and their consumers.

Use the food chart below to indicate how much algae to feed your reef:

Stocking Density/Reef Maturity Number of Pumps
Lightly Stocked less than 4 months old 1 pump per 60 gallons
Medium Stocked over 4 months old 1 pump per 30 gallons
Heavily Stocked Mature Reef Expert Aquarist 1 pump per 20 gallons
In the 2002 Marine Reef Annual, Dr. Rob Toonen and researchers at the University California Davis published their findings on the benefits of marine algae feeds. BioPlankton was compared to a variety of both live and preserved algae feeds. A comparative test was done on the culturing of rotifers in a closed environment. BioPlankton was shown to be superior in its ability to culture the highest number of rotifers in a specific time frame. BioPlankton was compared to very good and established products. We believe that the positive results came because our algae has the highest cell count of any products in the test and our frozen storage.

pocilipora
01-18-2004, 12:31 AM
Just found out that the Algae Paste only has 1.7 Billion cells per/ml. Doesnt say how much of each algae is contained in that ml either. Think Ill try some BioPankton. Way more concentrated.

robbyville
01-18-2004, 03:52 AM
Thanks Underworld!

Does it matter if the skimmer is operational when adding the bioplankton?

Also, is it ok to mix it with the rest of the food and water or should it be dosed on it's own (mixed with some tank water first)?

Thanks,

Rob

UnderWorldAquatics
01-18-2004, 04:49 AM
I find it best to feed it seperate from other food. Mix how ever many pumps you need in to a quart jar and shake, then add to your tank at a good current location, I do it with the skimmer off for a few minutes, I find it best to do after you have fed your fish and meat eating inverts as it clouds the tank

robbyville
01-18-2004, 06:15 AM
Thanks!

sumpfinfishe
01-18-2004, 07:39 AM
I have been using Biolife for just over a month now and I have noticed a more positive effect on my SPS corals than when I was using DT's in the past. I use a single squirt in my 27gl once a week and shut down the skimmer for a full day.

It even smells fresher than DT's as well :exclaim:

marie
01-18-2004, 07:00 PM
I've been using biolife since sept. A little bottle goes a long way. I have
3 tanks, 20g,55g, and a 75g and the bottle lasted me nearly a month

BCOrchidGuy
01-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Wendell and Jack at Ocean Aquatics sell Nanochloropsis, it's a super thick stuff, I used to feed just a few drops to my 90 gallon daily. I found it pretty reasonably priced, especially when you consider it's thick like ketchup.
If you want to really save some money, get some phytoplankton, rotifers and some Guillards from Reef Crew, you can feed rotifers, and green water to your tank.

Doug

UnderWorldAquatics
01-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Your idea is great Doug, but Im lazy.... I like the little pump bottle in the freezer

BCOrchidGuy
01-18-2004, 07:41 PM
I know the feeling, trying to renovate the fishroom/basement/computer room/wifes hobby room etc etc... Trying to move my 90 gallon, see if I've got room for a 6 foot tank or just a 5 foot, trying to set up a rotifer hatching station, a green water station, a bbs station... and Oh yeah, gotta keep the laundry going, etc...

Doug

marie
01-20-2004, 04:27 AM
oops my above post should read, a bottle lasts nearly 2 months :redface: